Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Fasting - Going back 30 years or so.

[QUOTE=ady;1416122

I can relate Treeman, not many people know the things i have shared here. Your post has brought back a lot of memories. At least you can say you reached a point in your life where you knew that you needed to change your life style and maybe for you Cody was that moment. Many people never come to that realization, until it is too late for them. Alcoholics call it a moment of clarity.

I lost a ton of weight, cut the bad habits and now try have everything in moderation. So far so good, but the physical damage is mostly done.

Onward and upward and remember the simple sentence.

Everything in moderation.[/QUOTE]
    Yes a lot of folk let me know they have difficulty believe this or that story, and sometime, mostly verification is a cell phone call somewhere in the world away.
    Like the time went fishing with no lights on the Krom river, a storm came up and the full moon went to no moon in a few minutes. We could see the shacks lights and the glitter of the water path and used that to navigate home.
    After about a long time the shacks lights were no closer and we were perplexed.
    We eventually got to the glow of the shacks lights only to find that we had traveled out the mouth out to sea and approached a anchored boat as our thought to be shack. It was a cold long miserable night further waiting for sun rise. All that in a wooden Thames river skiff with a 8 hp motor on it.

Yes I needed to tap off the throttle a bit, the flat out was beginning to get warning lights on the engine management system.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Big food is a destructive as big pharma. It's huge business. The majority if people on the planet are dealing with sugar addiction. Diet is a major issue in modern society - covid is a dietary disease (but that's another story). The modern diet is so sugar entrenched that many people don't even think they're consuming sugar. Essential things the body needs to survive are proteins, natural fats and some essential oils, and water. Things the body doesn't need, and will struggle to metabolise are carbohydrates, sugars and alcohol.

Yes we have a huge problem ahead for our kids, carbohydrates, sugars and alcohol.
    Big trouble ahead medically for the world in general.

Don't overdo the fasting. It can be good but not if you overdo it, then you can do damage as your body needs fuel to function and stay healthy.

It's all about what you eat. Eat healthy and your body will be healthy. Do many foods in the modern diet are bad for you. Cancer loves sugar. Don't overeat either.

User

Not that surprising. We teach our children to over-eat. How many times were we as children forced to eat everything on our plates at the dinner table? How many of you do the same with your children? Why use food as reward? Works great for active kids in school, but that doesn't help when kids leave school and start with sedentary jobs. Now they have a active portion size mentally ingrained and regularly reward themselves with food.

The human body is a great regulator if we let it. Unfortunately our food culture portion wise is still stuck in the 1950's when most people still had to do physical work.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Big food is a destructive as big pharma. It's huge business. The majority if people on the planet are dealing with sugar addiction. Diet is a major issue in modern society - covid is a dietary disease (but that's another story). The modern diet is so sugar entrenched that many people don't even think they're consuming sugar. Essential things the body needs to survive are proteins, natural fats and some essential oils, and water. Things the body doesn't need, and will struggle to metabolise are carbohydrates, sugars and alcohol.
    Two things about your statement. Sugar and alcohol are carbohydrates. So are potato, rice, corn starch, flour etc. Just by focusing on sugar, you do not see the whole problem.

Secondly, the problem with carbohydrates are that the are metabolised very easily. That is why they are of concern in a diet.

Unless you are Karen, you don't need essential oils.😉 You were probably refering to Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids a.k.a. natural fats.

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Two things about your statement. Sugar and alcohol are carbohydrates. So are potato, rice, corn starch, flour etc. Just by focusing on sugar, you do not see the whole problem.

Secondly, the problem with carbohydrates are that the are metabolised very easily. That is why they are of concern in a diet.

Unless you are Karen, you don't need essential oils.😉 You were probably refering to Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids a.k.a. natural fats.
    I knew someone would nitpick :)
    I'm aware thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post

There's nothing wrong with a little bread, I use Future Life's Ancient Grain, it has grains and is non-GMO which is great.
    I find that if I completely give up carbs I get very tired and lethargic. Moderation.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I do not believe fasting is the way to go, the problem is definitely not food, the problem is the portions of food people eat, and the type of food. Unfortunately the SA culture is exactly wrong on this, people generally stuff their mouths until they cannot eat anymore, I find this notion sickening these days.
    It’s long been known that the Japanese culture is among the longest living nations, despite having many smokers in the population. The only thing different from them is their small food portions.
    Western people eat themselves to death, simple as that, we in SA are no different.
    This weakens the immune system as well, look at Japan and covidhoax, their death per 1million is 100, SA have more than 9 times that.

People cannot make the connection between calorie intake and bodily requirements, it’s only when you start exercising with a smart device, something that tells you calories burned, that you realize exercise can basically never burn the amount of calories people consume.

Eating small portions of healthy food will in my opinion always trump the notion of fasting.
    This is just not easy, junk food is always easier to acquire.
    Agree. But sometimes a correction is just that. One needs to lose a bit more than what only a well balanced calorie diet can be.

I also think we eat too quickly. Need to spend time chewing and savouring out food a bit more.

I have for the last couple if years just skipped breakfast. Try and behave during the week and live my life over weekends, fast from Sunday evening until Monday evening because of the weekend debauchery. Works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a little bread, I use Future Life's Ancient Grain, it has grains and is non-GMO which is great.
    I find that if I completely give up carbs I get very tired and lethargic. Moderation.
    Everybody gets carbs in some way or another, but processed carbs is where the poison lies.
    For example I eat no bread, pasta, cereal, chips or any of the processed carbs.
    I do eat a lot of veggies, and not just the low carb ones like cauliflower.
    If you Keto the only trick is to keep the carbs to a level where your body don’t see them as the main fuel source, fat must be its main energy source.
    For some, like me, Keto works almost too well, and fat just falls off you like leaves, I don’t have any holes left in my belt for example, maybe I must just buy myself a bigger carry gun :)

User

At the start of our first confinement I was tipping the scales at 125kg. Used to eat with friends at work everyday etc and have a braai at night or something else I cooked for the family. Also have a few beers or glasses of wine. At the start of our first confinement it was like being on holiday - bbq every afternoon and why not have a beer or a glass of wine. Then I started skipping lunch because I worked my butt of on a huge project and I rarely eat breakfast - only on weekends. So basically fasting from dinner to dinner. Still drink beer in the evening - I lost 13kgs! Must start excersizing a bit and I'm sure that I'll drop some more - I hate running - Must repair the bike's tire so that I can cycle a bit.

We recently rented a 50m² spot of garden - we planted a load of veggies and already started harvesting our own salads and veggies so that is great as well. Soon I'll be able to harvest sweet corn and grill them on the cob - haven't had any for years - in France you struggle to find sweet corn - and if you do they are already peeled and costs around €3 for 2. Really looking forward to that. Also got some chickens in the garden. Getting fresh eggs everyday! Eating less meat as well because already getting protein from eggs.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast