Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: FIRST ELAND HUNT

Great report and congrats on a fantastic looking Eland.

User

Nice bull and challenging hunt. You can feel very proud

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

User

Jumping on the back of this thread since I just done my 1st Eland hunt.
    Was on a farm bordering the Gariep dam, 50km or so from Bethulie.
    Very beautiful part of the country !
    Had my wife as stick bearer and fellow spotter. Life can't really get better

Got up at 1st light so I could be ready in place glassing from a good vantage point.
    Blue skies, sun rising, 0 degrees , no wind. Perfect, beautiful time to be out in the veld..
    Within minutes of arriving at the area to hunt, spotted 7 or 8 eland about 8/900m straight below us across a large flat expanse of veld.

They were moving from right to left towards the bottom of 2 valleys ( about km wide and longer ) that lead upto where I had planned on waiting in hope of coming across them later in the morning when the sun hit them.

Made a call to move fast along a fence line parallel to the path of the Eland to get to the 2nd valley. Bumped a huge Kudu bull and cow soon as we crested rise into 1 st valley. Decisions Decisions! Let him go and pushed onto towards 2nd valley.

Crested hill taking us into 2nd valley and there sunning themselves in the first rays of the sun on the far side of valley was a herd of 12 or so Eland.
    Again 8/900m away.

Into stealth mode moving diagonally away from them for 5/600m to keep cover behind what little scrub there was. Needed to reach a much denser scrub area if I was going to get within shooting distance of them. Managed to get the scrub between us and them and found a perfect little koppie a couple of hundred meters in front of me playing me and directly in line with them now. Was able to move quite fast now as was completely hidden by the koppie. Reached it , took minute to calm the breathing and then slowly crept up to the top of it.

It was a picture perfect, they were all straight infront of me 200 to 300m away grazing with not a concern in the world.
    I was able to set up a solid shooting position, sticks perfectly placed, nice and stable.

Cannot stress the benefits of sighting in a rifle on the actual distances you might be shooting at, and chrono your loads so you know what you dealing with. It takes guess work out of the equation and allows you the benefit of knowing as long as you place the bullet where it needs to be placed, the rest will take care of itself. It allows you to focus more on the actual shot and less on the 'I hope part' .

Side note to fence sitters on the subject of hunting..I'm not experienced, I would be considered a 'city slicker' by farmers and ph's. That doesn't mean I don't have the ability to , or the desire now that I made a conscious decision to fill my freezer with meat that I hunted in the mast 3 years, but I can unquestionably say that journey was made easier by the invaluable input of some members from this forum who impart years of wisdom in meaningful contributions that allow you to develop knowledge that then can be used in the field to gain wisdom. There's a difference!
    Pay attention when they talk if you want to learn..I'll miss some of you , but kudos to
    Tstone, Treeman,Messor,pre64, adoons and driepootx. You've all made my journey easier than it could have been without your insights!

I was in for 1 Eland , but the farmer had mentioned night before if I can take more, please do! Sometimes the God's smile on you ,and this they did on this morning.

Shooting from a slightly elevated position, wind and sun in my favor. First shot broadside ranged at 200m( get a range finder, probably most beneficial piece of equipment if you not experienced calling distance, bullet drop is real ! )
    Perfect squeeze of trigger , solid thud and 1st Eland goes down within 5 seconds..rest of herd still working out what happend. Soon as I realized it was down and still, ranged another one at 300m , front facing. Put the crosshairs on him and nice squeeze of trigger for 2nd solid shot. Again the solid thud of decent contact, little run of 20m or so and over it went, no movement. Herd still not sure what happend or where the threat was!
    Lined up 3rd one broadside 330m, perfect sight picture, nice and still again with good squeeze. Solid contact, 20m dash and over it went.
    Probably only 45 seconds but felt like a lifetime. All the time I was asking wife to mark them and call if any movement whilst I gathered myself. Once confident they where truly down I left my spot and went to inspect.

3 perfect shots in my view. All in the middle of vital zones.
    200m shot passed straight through, could see exit hole on otherside of poi.
    330m shot I could feel a perfectly mushroomed bullet under the skin on opposite side of poi, and 300m frontal didnt get to see where bullet ended up. Was using a .270win with Barnes tsx 130gr at 2975/second.

I had thought my walk and stalk of the afternoon before for a nice Kudu bull at 200m was the probable high light of the weekend, and I would be happy with a Eland sighting, given the farmer said they were shy, if nothing else happened.

Can't believe my luck and how well it all played out. Content and full is a understatement currently regards my hunting 'vault' of memories!

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

User

Awesome! Always amazing reading people's stories! Well done!

User

Well done. Thanks for sharing!

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks for all your shares and insights! And yes I am jealous of where you stay! Very beautiful part of the world.

User

Very well done.

That rifle combo tho………

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Very well done.

That rifle combo tho………
    You must be referring to the Logan sling that was courtesy of Tstone advice . Best accessory I have on my rifle. The camo..my excuse is I bought it 2nd had like that
    The bipod I haven't actually used and will in liklihood remove. Will go with sticks, the 4 deadhold work great for practically all scenarios from sitting, kneeling and standing.

User

Brilliant well done.

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

User

Well done and thanks for sharing!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast