User

Default Oposing new Legislation: Letter

I have both dedicated hunter and also dedicated sport status. I also wish to object to the new proposed amendment to the firearm control act.
    I am however not very good with words.
    Is there any way i can get hold of an example of such an objection letter?

User

Default Re: Oposing new Legislation: Letter

There are two threads currently on the site regarding the proposed amendment bill. A few guys posted the e-mail address to submit the letters to and even a few samples of letters to use. Hope you get sorted as we need every letter/objection!!

User

Hi

I am in the process of drafting a template for comment that I will be more than happy to send you once I've completed it. It should be done within this week.

Just DM me your email adress. Also don't forget the various platforms like Afriforum and Dear SA have their own petitions. Remember to use as many of these platforms as you can find.

Regards

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

Be aware of the risk. In the past we had guys simply copying letters. That gets spotted immediately and undermines our case. It's true that writing letters is a skill at a certain level. Ideally there must be a suitable entry, the body of the letter and a punch line ending. It takes a lot pf practice to develop that skill. Very few have that skill in the beginning. But it's not necessary - if you can talk about something coherently you can write a simple letter. You need only express what you believe simply and clearly. Anyone can do that. There are other skills which develop with practice. One of them is o keep them less than 300 words, because that's the de facto cut off point above which the chance of publication reduces rapidly. But that only applies to publication, not to letters of objection.

Banned

https://dearsouthafrica.co.za/firearm-control-2021/
    Go do your part - under home scroll to participate - find subject

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Be aware of the risk. In the past we had guys simply copying letters. That gets spotted immediately and undermines our case. It's true that writing letters is a skill at a certain level. Ideally there must be a suitable entry, the body of the letter and a punch line ending. It takes a lot pf practice to develop that skill. Very few have that skill in the beginning. But it's not necessary - if you can talk about something coherently you can write a simple letter. You need only express what you believe simply and clearly. Anyone can do that. There are other skills which develop with practice. One of them is o keep them less than 300 words, because that's the de facto cut off point above which the chance of publication reduces rapidly. But that only applies to publication, not to letters of objection.
    I've spoken to a legal expert who works for an organisation involved in lobying the government regarding this and this was basically the answer I got: Regardless of whether a letter is an exact copy - legally speaking every comment needs to be taken into account. They cannot throw out your comments simply because the arguments agree with someone else's. If any comment is thrown out it opens up the government to legal action.

I do agree it would be better if everyone could write in their own unique comments, but using a well drafted template as a starting point is still a good idea.