Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Portable camping boma

Does anyone use a portable wind boma when camping? From the photos the material looks similar to shade cloth. Comes in various lengths 3m - 6m with poles to erect the windbreak / boma.

I'm going to be going on a hunting & camping trip with my sons in the Harrismith area in 2 weeks time. We will be in the veld - no electricity or running water. When a cold wind is blowing over there, even sitting by the fire will be uncomfortable unless we have some shelter from the wind. Don't want to buy a gimmick that doesn't do the job or cannot withstand the wind.

Would appreciate your opinion on it if you have used one of the camping bomas.

User

Default Re: Portable camping boma

I've used mine once or twice. Mainly because it's a pain to set up

The material is not quite shadecloth, but bit more "non porous", if I can put it that way. More like a tarp tipe of material.

Mine is not very high. If you sit low to the ground, then it may help a bit for a breeze or two at your back.

Personally I think it's more of a privacy shade than a wind breaker, but does help.

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

We use one when camping for privacy more than wind protection. Ours is 80% shade cloth, 6m long with poles.

I would be tempted to say a gazebo with a side cover would offer you better protection which we use for rain, wind and shade protection.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    I would be tempted to say a gazebo with a side cover would offer you better protection which we use for rain, wind and shade protection.
    This is actually best.

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

User

We have used one [6m] a lot over the past 2 years and bought a second one about 2 months ago.

We span them as privacy between vehicles and as a wind break.
    They have held up well but besides the end poles being stayed with 2 pegs,we purchased additional pegs and ropes to double stay the intermediate poles. This forms a really rigid 'wall' which withstands even a strongish wind and does cut down on felt wind. While a gazebo side obviously gives better protection from the elements we would not go camping without one.
    A mate of mine also has 2 which form a barrier for his toddler.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Does anyone use a portable wind boma when camping? From the photos the material looks similar to shade cloth. Comes in various lengths 3m - 6m with poles to erect the windbreak / boma.

I'm going to be going on a hunting & camping trip with my sons in the Harrismith area in 2 weeks time. We will be in the veld - no electricity or running water. When a cold wind is blowing over there, even sitting by the fire will be uncomfortable unless we have some shelter from the wind. Don't want to buy a gimmick that doesn't do the job or cannot withstand the wind.

Would appreciate your opinion on it if you have used one of the camping bomas.
    It's gonna be freezing cold in the harrismith area from today and I'm thinking for more than 2 weeks, and the wind chill usually is pretty bad.
    I'd say, get something better

User

Thanks for the advice so far gents. Much appreciated

User

I made my own partition / boma using hessian cloth of about 6 meters, had a tent shop sow in slits folded over for poles every 2 meters. Bought some spare poles and pegs. Nice khaki colour, cannot see through, stops wind and a hell of a lot cheaper.

which weave hessian - loose weave or a tight weave?

User

Tight weave, bought it off a roll at a catering shop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast