Exclamation SafeCitizen will be on air tonight!

Tune in to listen to the discussion panel which will see representatives from Safe Citizen, Gun Free South Africa as well as a crime expert come together.

Radio 786 - Stream the discussion here
    2 June 2021 (Wednesday)
    21h15

Some aspects that will be discussed:
    -Understanding the pros and cons of the proposed changes to the bill
    -Gun violence in South Africa and the Police Ministry's argument that this bill will help reduce crime
    -Effective methods that could be employed in clamping down on the illegal firearms trade

#SafeCitizen (72).jpg

Default Re: SafeCitizen will be on air tonight!

SafeCitizen deserves kudos for getting in on this debate being such a new organisation. Radio 786 is in Athlone, Cape Town. Channel is 100.4fm. I'm battling to tune in but all who can should listen. Also it should be recorded for later analysis - that's how we improve our performance. Radio 786 is where Peter Hammond and I extracted the admission from Sheena Duncan that total prohibition is GFSA's true agenda. I found radio 786 and Bush Radio (also on the Cape Flats) the two best radio stations because they were even handed and gave us a fair hearing while all the other media balantly favoured GFSA. Interestingly as well, their listeners seemed better informed with a better grasp of the issues than most.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    SafeCitizen deserves kudos for getting in on this debate being such a new organisation. Radio 786 is in Athlone, Cape Town. Channel is 100.4fm. I'm battling to tune in but all who can should listen. Also it should be recorded for later analysis - that's how we improve our performance. Radio 786 is where Peter Hammond and I extracted the admission from Sheena Duncan that total prohibition is GFSA's true agenda. I found radio 786 and Bush Radio (also on the Cape Flats) the two best radio stations because they were even handed and gave us a fair hearing while all the other media balantly favoured GFSA. Interestingly as well, their listeners seemed better informed with a better grasp of the issues than most.
    Nothing like experience. Thanks for climbing into the fight again Dick.

User

15min

I tried unsuccessfully to tune in. Don't know why I couldn't. I'm sorry to have missed it - we need to do all we can and that includes helping those who speak for us to improve their performance. Make no mistake, GFSA representatives are skilled and very difficult to combat. Having the right on our side isn't enough - it's what the public can be persuaded to believe that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    I tried unsuccessfully to tune in. Don't know why I couldn't. I'm sorry to have missed it - we need to do all we can and that includes helping those who speak for us to improve their performance. Make no mistake, GFSA representatives are skilled and very difficult to combat. Having the right on our side isn't enough - it's what the public can be persuaded to believe that counts.
    We are awaiting confirmation of the repeat over the upcoming weekend as well as the recording which we will share for those who were unable to tune in.

User

Quote Originally Posted by #SafeCitizen View Post
    We are awaiting confirmation of the repeat over the upcoming weekend as well as the recording which we will share for those who were unable to tune in.

User

Quote Originally Posted by #SafeCitizen View Post
    My only concern was with the industry (Police) expert, Aldrich De Klerk (spelling?). He ends off by saying (I am paraphrasing here): " the police will always be at the wrong place at the wrong time (referring to South Africa), yet in my community, I would want my neighbour to defend and help me if I am in need." I am pretty sure if Jonathan was allowed, he would have wanted to know how Aldrich thinks his neighbour would assist him in this new Eutopia where criminals still have access to unlicensed firearms.

It felt to me that Aldrich was batting for Claire there at the end. I would love to understand how he gets to his final answer as it opened up the entire debate from scratch. They alluded to his background, but I need to better understand what he does. His stance was a bit all over the place for me personally, acknowledging that the country is in disarray, yet not being able to see the need for people to have the ability to defend themselves, especially in South Africa.

Another thing he said that kind of irked me was to compare a violent country like India to us. They (India) have something like 20 times the population of RSA at c. 1.2bn (RSA at c. 60m), but they only have something like c. 7 - 10k more murders a year at c. 29k (RSA at c. 22k). By that comparison and logic, I can derive from the data available on the internet, that No, India is not as violent as RSA per capita. Theoretically, by that logic, we would sit closer to 440k murders a year for the same population size. Africa is violent, it has always been and will always be. Now is that a fact or a made-up statement, you be the judge of that (Paul Harrel pun intended).

But anyway, who am I to argue with these facts, as certain pannel members again started pulling data from thin air, and it seriously annoys me that they think they can get away with these statements. And as always when they get called on it, they quickly change their tune. In the real world, we call that lying.

All of this being said, I REALLY do appreciate the fight that is being put up on our behalf! Thanks for getting our message out there, I appreciate your efforts a lot.

Thanks!

User

Thanks to all those out there fighting in the trenches. We will not lose this fight, we cannot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk