Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default K98 Safety / Telescope Issue

Hi everyone,

I have an old Mauser K98 sport rifle, with a telescope. The safety at the back clashes with the telescope, so it can therefore never go on safe. Is there something that can be done here? I can't believe this is the first old K98 that someone attempts to put a scope on.

Below is an internet photo of another one with the same style of safe:

Default Re: K98 Safety / Telescope Issue

Apologies, not able to get the link for the photo now. But for those who don't know, it is a kind of flap that swings around from left to right, but it cannot pass underneath the scope.

Some info here, but I don't understand it all. Maybe a gunsmith does:

https://www.sporterizing.com/index.p...elp-me-decide/

Common issue.

Simple, really. Don’t use the safety. Rifle safeties are notoriously unreliable. Carry empty chamber, only chamber a round when shooting is imminent. By that stage your guide or whomever is with you should be behind you in any event.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

The k98's 180degree "flag safety" can be replaced with a 45 degree safety, typically also on Musgrave rifles.

I believe Thor Engineering has a strong, local version of the 45 degree safety. Sabi arms also has a solution. Thor also has/ had a trigger replacement with a sidesafety, if i remember correctly. Not sure how to contact them, though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    The k98's 180degree "flag safety" can be replaced with a 45 degree safety, typically also on Musgrave rifles.

I believe Thor Engineering has a strong, local version of the 45 degree safety. Sabi arms also has a solution. Thor also has/ had a trigger replacement with a sidesafety, if i remember correctly. Not sure how to contact them, though.
    You are correct, I have used the 45 degree safety a few times - did not recall it being called that though. Your gun smith will know about it, as it is almost a must on a K98.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    You are correct, I have used the 45 degree safety a few times - did not recall it being called that though. Your gun smith will know about it, as it is almost a must on a K98.
    Are you guys not referring to the Winchester style safety?

User

Maroelas....the winchester type safety is located on the right hand side of the bolt. Flag type safety with a 180degree throw but does not interfere with a scope as the throw is backward and forward as opposed to up and down as on the K98..
    The 45degree safety is positioned in the same place as the K98 safety but instead of the throw lifting 180degrees [being impaired by the bottom of the scope] it lifts only 45degrees and can be engaged without touching the scope.

User

Recknagel make a Mauser 98 saftey conversion to a Win Model 70 type.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast