Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Firearm storage in high humidity - advice needed

You can alleviate most of the problems from humidity when you avoid getting it into the safe.

The more air circulates from outside into the storage device, the worse the problem. Firearm safe doors are loose fitting.

When warm, the air in the unit will move out due to decrease in air pressure, when cooled, more air will come in and condense water on exposed metal surfaces.

This cycle is reapeated every day. If moisture is collecting in the bottom of the safe, this is why.

Assuming there are no holes in the sides, sealing the door will alleviate most of the moisture problem. Thin strips of adhesive backed foam are cheap and readily available. Put a piece of duct tape over the keyhole.

The red ATF for cars works very well for keeping moisture off metal.

If you use the safe every day, then you are refreshing the humidity content every day as well.

For long term storage in corrosive conditions, you need to coat the surfaces in grease then wrap in oil cloth.

A non-permeable, oil-coated-on-the-inside rifle bag like Zuku suggests, is less messy, and suitable for medium term storage.

De-humidifiers are great, but require constant maintenance. If you forget about it once, you'll wish you tried something else.
    Last edited by 414gates; 06-06-2021 at 11:39. Reason: addendum

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    I use these as well. Going price is around R30ea
    Rather get the reusable ones. R500 and then you are set. No messy water and chance of spilling.

User

I live 200m from the sea and have tried a lot of product and found what works best. First off, there is a chap in Durban who sells bottles of blue moisture absorbing crystals, they turn pink when they have absorbed moisture and you can then heat them in the oven or microwave to "reset " them to blue, they theoretically last for ever. Man magnum had his details a few months back and i am sure a call to their offices will get you his contact details. I have one of these jars in each safe . The second line of defence is a good anti rust coating. The best I have found to date are fluid film and corrosion x for guns. In my opinion the corrosion x is a bit better. What I do is I keep a zip lock bag with a microfiber cloth in it, When ever I am putting a firearm away, I first spray the cloth and rub the firearm down with the corrosion x. If it is a chrome molly barrel, I put a little on a patch and coat the inside of the barrel as well. ( always clean it our of the bore and chamber before firing) Once i have rubbed everything down, the cloth goes back in the bag and is used multiple times. Eventually the cloth becomes saturated with the corrosion x and you have to add very little. If the firearms are not going to be used for a while I give them a good coat . I have found that the corrosion x does not attract dust on the range and there is no need to take it off the outside of the firearm before use. It is expensive but works well.

User

I am doing the light bulb atm. I am also monitoring it with one of the reptile heat/humidity gauges. It has a probe that goes through a hole i drilled near the top (a hole at the top was advised on a US forum for a heat related solution to work). It saves the max and min temp and humidity till it is reset.
    https://www.futurama.co.za/digital-t...ter-with-probe

I can not give good results on the bulb, and for that matter any heat element such as the Goldenrod from the USA, because to be honest I do not think comparing days to days or months to months is accurate. The best you can do is try to stay in the good zone. I think 30-50% humidity?
    To low is also not lekker hey, not for wood. So keep your wits about you if you start spending those hundred dollar bills.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shauncraill View Post

All supermarkets sells these, basically a R60 dehumidifier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you use these you will regret it some day in the future. There are previous posts regarding this. yes they take moisture from the air, and then store it next to your item. Naaaaaaaaa! not clever.
    As 414Gates said, seal the safe, often thought about vacuum packing in those "store your bedding" bags that you suck out to store in. Seal the safe against outside influence seems to be the ideal answer at the moment, but how possible I do not know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    I use 2 gun bags. A range bag and a safe bag. The safe bag is sprayed with oil on the inside and the rifle is also oiled on the outside and inside. I stay about 10 km from the sea. Works for me
    Zuku, please try tell more, I have never thought of this, seems a space in safe nightmare, but if it works!!

Do you not have issues with oil - oily residue on scope lens, oil evaporates, surely this must with time become a issue on your lenses?
    Do you not find your wood parts swelling/ negative wood positive oil bag, nature tries to make a balance and wood absorbs.
    Are you actually doing this or suggesting it in theory.

User

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    I live 200m from the sea and have tried a lot of product and found what works best. First off, there is a chap in Durban who sells bottles of blue moisture absorbing crystals, they turn pink when they have absorbed moisture and you can then heat them in the oven or microwave to "reset " them to blue, they theoretically last for ever. Man magnum had his details a few months back and i am sure a call to their offices will get you his contact details. I have one of these jars in each safe . The second line of defence is a good anti rust coating. The best I have found to date are fluid film and corrosion x for guns. In my opinion the corrosion x is a bit better. What I do is I keep a zip lock bag with a microfiber cloth in it, When ever I am putting a firearm away, I first spray the cloth and rub the firearm down with the corrosion x. If it is a chrome molly barrel, I put a little on a patch and coat the inside of the barrel as well. ( always clean it our of the bore and chamber before firing) Once i have rubbed everything down, the cloth goes back in the bag and is used multiple times. Eventually the cloth becomes saturated with the corrosion x and you have to add very little. If the firearms are not going to be used for a while I give them a good coat . I have found that the corrosion x does not attract dust on the range and there is no need to take it off the outside of the firearm before use. It is expensive but works well.
    I've also been using Fluid Film for years. A can goes a long way.

I think the key with fighting high humidity is a layered approach. As mentioned by 414gates. Seal the safe as best you can. Keep your firearms oiled with a decent oil that won't run excessively or evaporate and use a good de-humidifier.

I know a club member who keeps a jar with some paraffin in his safe and he swears by it. I don't like the idea of any liquid in my safes.

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I've also been using Fluid Film for years. A can goes a long way.

I think the key with fighting high humidity is a layered approach. As mentioned by 414gates. Seal the safe as best you can. Keep your firearms oiled with a decent oil that won't run excessively or evaporate and use a good de-humidifier.

I know a club member who keeps a jar with some paraffin in his safe and he swears by it. I don't like the idea of any liquid in my safes.
    This topic was raised a while back and the product, Eezox, seemed to come out tops in terms of preventing rust and long term storage.

User

User

This is just silica gel, so it can be regenerated by heating in an oven when the blue crystals change colour.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast