Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Banned

Default Re: Firearm storage in high humidity - advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Humidity is something I’ve long pondered, especially with these de-humidifiers.

Humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air, or rather the concentration.

What good does a de-humidifier do if the temperature remains the same, does it not just re-balance itself instantly?

Meaning while you think you are capturing the water in the safe, you are just pulling it in from the house, not so?

Is it not then better to skip the de-humidifier and just install a normal light bulb, one that makes the inside of the safe warmer than the outside temperature, decreasing the humidity?
    This is about my opinion as well.
    If you have a sealed safe and a dehumidifier it must drain to outside the safe, not store the problem in the safe.
    I believe a light bulb and a airtight seal is about as good as it gets for average Joe, a oiled rifle and a airtight safe no bulb should suffice though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
    Or get a sonoff smart switch with humidity sensor. You can monitor the humidity on the app, without having to open the door to check. You can also set thresholds for alerts.

Sonoff Themostat 16Amp Smart Switch + Waterproof Probe
    https://www.takealot.com/sonoff-them...e/PLID53561784

Or
    Sonoff Themostat 16Amp Smart Switch
    https://www.takealot.com/sonoff-them...h/PLID53561782
    AND
    Sonoff Temp & Humidity Sensor - Si7021
    https://www.takealot.com/sonoff-temp...1/PLID65529406

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk
    @Keepleft what dehumidifier would be compatible with the above devices? Or do you purely use them for monitoring purposes?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    @Keepleft what dehumidifier would be compatible with the above devices? Or do you purely use them for monitoring purposes?
    I'm speaking hypothetically, as I have not done this specific example.

You can either use the sonoff switch to purely monitor conditions. Or to monitor AND switch on/off when criteria is met. If you wire it up like the picture, you can run anything with a 3 pin plug.

This picture shows a similar model (sonoff pow r2) which I use to monitor consumption and remotely switch on/off my dishwasher and washing machine. I effectively made a short extension cord with a wifi switch in between.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5