Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Eskimo's do not have heart attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Lifestyle and diet contribute to the state of health.

There are foods that some people cannot digest, like milk and wheat, and those are absent from the Inuit diet.

People who cannot digest those foods tend to develop very serious health issues over time which are related to eating what is not good for them.

Obesity, for example, is not so much about food quantity than it is about food allergies producing gut inflammation.

Ingesting foods you can't digest causes gut inflammation, and when the gut is inflamed, the normal process of nutrient absorption is interrupted to fight the inflammation, so the nutrients are put aside to be used later. In my opinion, this is why obesity is not fixed by eating less. It can only be fixed by not eating what is bad for you.

Another interesting theory I came across was the occurrence of breast cancer in women who consume fresh cows milk. In societies where cows milk is not available, there is no breast cancer. Where societies have become more affluent, and have included fresh cows milk in their diet, the breast cancer rates are picking up. The data from this came from China, where rural Chinese women don't eat cows milk, and the wealthier city women do.

If you have children that are always sick with flu, or easily fall ill, have them checked for their milk and wheat tolerance, and what foods they are allergic to. It saves a lot of hassle for them in their lives instead of waiting till they are 50 to find out they were allergic to the milk and cereal they ate every morning.
    I have heard a lot about this, very interesting. How does one go about finding out which foods are not right for you?

User

It could be argued that the inuit "bloodline" is genetically adapted to its very harsh environment. If they in fact did not "suffer" heart failure, it might be that heart attack victims have long been culled from the bloodline? (It would be ironic if it would have been by heart attacks.)

User

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    It could be argued that the inuit "bloodline" is genetically adapted to its very harsh environment.
    I expect that's a given. In the same way that Nepalese Sherpa are able to process oxygen more efficiently than others and are thereby resistant to altitude sickness or some Kenyan tribes have greater endurance than the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Lifestyle and diet contribute to the state of health.

There are foods that some people cannot digest, like milk and wheat, and those are absent from the Inuit diet.

People who cannot digest those foods tend to develop very serious health issues over time which are related to eating what is not good for them.

Obesity, for example, is not so much about food quantity than it is about food allergies producing gut inflammation.

Ingesting foods you can't digest causes gut inflammation, and when the gut is inflamed, the normal process of nutrient absorption is interrupted to fight the inflammation, so the nutrients are put aside to be used later. In my opinion, this is why obesity is not fixed by eating less. It can only be fixed by not eating what is bad for you.

Another interesting theory I came across was the occurrence of breast cancer in women who consume fresh cows milk. In societies where cows milk is not available, there is no breast cancer. Where societies have become more affluent, and have included fresh cows milk in their diet, the breast cancer rates are picking up. The data from this came from China, where rural Chinese women don't eat cows milk, and the wealthier city women do.

If you have children that are always sick with flu, or easily fall ill, have them checked for their milk and wheat tolerance, and what foods they are allergic to. It saves a lot of hassle for them in their lives instead of waiting till they are 50 to find out they were allergic to the milk and cereal they ate every morning.
    Regards wheat. For many people it has been the refining of wheat that has been the problem. The removal of everything like the bran except the white flour has been a disastrous for our health.

It is this removal basically of all the healthy parts that has led to a lot of wheat intolerance.

I know of many people that once they buy their own wheat kernels and grind them themselves to make their own bread using the whole kernel they lose their intolerance of wheat.

Keeping the kernel whole until you use it (give or take a 2 week period or so) retains all the goodness and healthy aspects of the kernel, if you grind it and store it like that for long periods (as you buy in the store) it loses about 70% of it's health aspects even if you leave in the bran, germ and so on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    3800 years plus continuous occupation of one of the harshest environments on the planet suggests thriving to me. That their population didn't explode is easily explained by the ice desert environment.
    Or their diet ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    I know of many people that once they buy their own wheat kernels and grind them themselves to make their own bread using the whole kernel they lose their intolerance of wheat.

Keeping the kernel whole until you use it (give or take a 2 week period or so) retains all the goodness and healthy aspects of the kernel, if you grind it and store it like that for long periods (as you buy in the store) it loses about 70% of it's health aspects even if you leave in the bran, germ and so on.
    You made two statements above that I would need to see some research before I take them seriously.

Not that I disagree that refined wheat is a large part of the problem. Any process that grinds starchy foodstuffs into fine particles is not great. The small size of the particles ensures that it is digested and converted to glucose within minutes of ingesting.

Conversely, course ground with the covering still stuck to the pieces ensures that it takes longer to digest. So called "low GI" foods

Quote Originally Posted by Stef1274 View Post
    I have heard a lot about this, very interesting. How does one go about finding out which foods are not right for you?
    You need to be tested. Ask your GP to recommend where.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Or their diet ?
    Could be.

The fact that they were there continuously is a matter of archeological record. That they had higher than average mortality as a result of diet induced heart attack and stroke pre-contact, I don't believe is.

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    You made two statements above that I would need to see some research before I take them seriously.

Not that I disagree that refined wheat is a large part of the problem. Any process that grinds starchy foodstuffs into fine particles is not great. The small size of the particles ensures that it is digested and converted to glucose within minutes of ingesting.

Conversely, course ground with the covering still stuck to the pieces ensures that it takes longer to digest. So called "low GI" foods
    The fact that the grains used to make a big chunk of the modern western diet are inedible in their raw state. It could not be eaten by humans before they controlled fire as we didn't, and still don't, have the enzymes required to break it down. In addition I believe there are alkaloid compounds in grains that enable seeds to last for hundreds or thousands of years which are also poisonous to us until cooked. I suspect that has something to do with 'intolerance' which seems to be a matter of degree. Some people are very intolerant and others less so.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4