Default K98 Bolt Controlled Feed

Hi everyone,

After one or two incidents of my Mauser K98 sport not extracting the 308 cartridge reliably, I got to reading up on controlled feed and push feed actions. According to that, the cartridge should be completely gripped by the bolt as soon as it leaves the magazine area, which mine doesn't. To my untrained eye, the extractor does not seem beefy enough to reliably grip the cartridge, so it is expected to behave in this wrong fashion. 90% of the time it does extract it regardless, but I'm obviously looking for 100%.

What is there to do on this issue? Can the extractor be gunsmithed, or should the whole bolt be replaced? If so, how does one go to work to find the correct bolt? I also need to convert the flag safety to something else, so it seems wise to address these two issues at the same time.

Thanks

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: K98 Bolt Controlled Feed

The extractor can be replaced by a competent gunsmith. I would bet that the extractor lip has been broken of by some fool that dropped cartridges into the chamber and then closing the bolt. Yes I know, Mauser actions can survive this and they have been designed to withstand the horrible practice, but anything in can life can be abused.

I cannot find it now quickly, but there is a recent thread regarding the flag safety replacements. Recent like in this week? Search it and read there.

Note: Only have a reputable gun smith work on a rifles bolt. If the set up after stripping and working on it is done wrong your rifle might not be safe anymore. They like to drop the firing pin when closing the bolt or the safety catch refuse to engage of they fire when the safety catch gets disengaged if all is not up to spec.

User

Photos of the bolt face and extractor lip will be a great help to see what the problem is . Any extractor can be repaired or replace . The extractor of a controlled feed Mauser bolt needs to be working every time 100%..It is a mechanical device that has to work over and over again the same time every time

I went through this recently. K98 extractors are freely available and not expensive, they are easy to fit at home. The extractor clips onto the bolt without having to disassemble the bolt. It takes a couple of minutes.
    However, I suggest you get a qualified gunsmith to do this for you. He can also modify the extractor so that it can close on a chambered round if you want.

If a military 308 most of the action rails were never modified from 8x57. The round needs to slide up nicely into the bolt face with the rim sliding under the extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    I cannot find it now quickly, but there is a recent thread regarding the flag safety replacements. Recent like in this week? Search it and read there.

Note: Only have a reputable gun smith work on a rifles bolt. If the set up after stripping and working on it is done wrong your rifle might not be safe anymore. They like to drop the firing pin when closing the bolt or the safety catch refuse to engage of they fire when the safety catch gets disengaged if all is not up to spec.
    Thanks Adoons. Yes that was my question about the flag safety as well, same rifle, want to do all of the work at the same time.

I am in Centurion, and have recently also asked a question on where to have this done. I have contacted the following, and plan to do it at one of them. Would love some feedback if someone used any of them before:

Weapring (just waiting for the gunsmith to get back from leave)
    Centurion Indoor Shooting
    Arms CC
    The gunsmith below Formalito, don't have his info now

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    If a military 308 most of the action rails were never modified from 8x57. The round needs to slide up nicely into the bolt face with the rim sliding under the extractor.
    Thanks FN. Yes I believe it should be an old 8x57 one, as I can tell the magazine is a bit long for a 51mm cartridge (dont know if that is also something that gets modified?). It seems like the cartridge is doing a sufficient slide and pop-up movement in the forward stroke, as some of them do catch. The extractor is just too flimsy to catch it, majority of the time. So I think a competent gunsmith will put an end to my speculation, so have decided to just take.

P.S. 8x57mm is such an awesome calibre, and I have dreamt of owning one for years. It is a pity that so many 8x57 rifles were modified to other calibers (I assume). I wish they were as cheap and common as 303 sport rifles today...