Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default C Grade Beef Biltong

Hi everyone,

Where can I find C grade beef silverside for biltong at a decent price in Centurion or Pretoria? According to Hokaai meat, it is virtually impossible to get. And their standard silverside is R115/kg...

User

Default Re: C Grade Beef Biltong

Yes it is on the endangered species list. And is more expensive than a-grade beef nowadays.
    And then u are lucky if u get with decent fat.
    U should consider using AB grade beef. Not really yellow fat but does make a good biltong as it is from older beef. And the fat does get nice and oily.
    If it is biltong u want to make?
    I can give u a contact in vereeniging.
    Last i saw they selling under R100p.kg
    But fat is sometimes scarce.
    Let me know.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Stef, C-Grade beef are something that you will only tell your children about its existence one day. (Note, C-Grade you can still find a lot off, but the ones you are searching for are the fat ones. "C" just mean it is an adult cows' meat. The number postfix, that runs from 1-6 indicates the thickness of the layer of fat. 1 being lean and 6 very thick fat. (Think - Geelvet Biltong.) The economy is simply forcing C 3-6 Grade beef to become not available. Buthchers use the C Grade in mince and wors and by that adds value to the product and thus will not sell fat C grade cuts whole just to be a nice person. When they can lay their hands on C3-6 they make it inti biltong themselves.

The source of C-Grade beef are the old cows (or younger ones with fertility problems) that are not concepting on time. Normally in the early winter most farmers will do conception testing on their herds. The cows not pregnant will then be sold as it is not economical to keep a cow that is not going to calf. In the better old days when grazing and feed where more available some farmers then used to put these cows in a feedlot for a time to fatten them to get to C 3 - C 5 carcass quality. This process is just not economical anymore as the turnover ratio of feed into actual gains in body weight for the cow are negative. This means that a farmer of feedlot are going to feed more Rands into the cow than Rands gained by increase in body weight. So now the cows are slaughtered as is from the field.

Some maize farmers still let these cows graze on harvested mealie lands. In this way they can still get fat in a more economical way. but now the calculation is also made that instead of fattening the old cows on the available grazing 2 new heifers can be kept to grow out and this practice thus also are not implemented anymore.

User

Probably the only option you have is to find a dairy farmer, buy the old cow and slaughter it yourself. Looking at the future this might be a good skill to learn and practice for every person who do not want to buy his meat from a butchery .
    This meat will have less to none hormones in it`s meat.

User

A, AB, B and C grading of our beef is determined by the age of the animal at time of slaughtering.

I have been led to believe that the yellow fat develops over time in grass fed cattle and does not develop well in grain fed cattle.

Sadly some biltong shops know that we prefer yellow fat biltong and stain the fat with food colorant, beware.

I know it is not Centurion, but the Waltcor butchery in Naboom sell yellow fat cuts as well as larger portions at a very fair price.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

User

They use turmeric.

I heard yellow fat is cows that walk in the veld.

User

Stef

You can try Primal Foods - located in Bronkies, but they do deliveries and sometimes sell from the Boeremark
    https://www.facebook.com/PrimalFoods

Bought from them a few times now - grass fed beef which is always better

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Regarding the colour of fat, you are correct. Green grass = Yellow Fat. Grain Fed = White Fat. Winter grass (dead and dry) = Lightly yellow tainted.

Gert's comment on dairy cows are very valid. Even an old Friesland cow has very good meat for the kitchen as well as tender biltong. They are kept calm and well fed at all times.

User

Yellow fat usually Grade C. However I know of some farmers that took grade C veld cattle and fed them grains in a feed lot. Turned the fat from yellow to white and sell it as grade A. Only way you'd know is when you have a whole carcass from the abattoir where you can see the stamps, but if its cut into steaks etc and packed, you wont be able to tell

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by koperaal koos View Post
    Yellow fat usually Grade C. However I know of some farmers that took grade C veld cattle and fed them grains in a feed lot. Turned the fat from yellow to white and sell it as grade A. Only way you'd know is when you have a whole carcass from the abattoir where you can see the stamps, but if its cut into steaks etc and packed, you wont be able to tell

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
    It will really be interesting to hear more about those "farmers", where they slaughter and sell the animals.

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast