Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default HELP,my scope moved!

Morning.

Myself and my dad went shooting this weekend to test out my new scope, rings, mounts and silencer.
    Rifle-SAKO 30.06
    Scope- New Burris 4-16X50 Fulllvield IV
    Rings - New Thor Medium Weaver
    Bases - New Thor SAKO Extension Weaver
    Silencer - New Eagle suppressors
    We used PMP 30.06 springfield 180gr off the shelf.

We had a lovely morning the first 10 rounds......and then it all started going south.
    On 200m we could not get the target, did some adjustments on the scope, 5 rounds in....same issue,
    Scope moved forward 4mm, and we could actually see the clamp marks from the rings!
    I am not one to call out the shop who fitted it, but after phoning them on Monday to ask for help, they had a "sort it out yourself" attitude.
    My questions are:
    Do I turn out each screw put some loctite on and tighten the piss out of the rings.
    Do I send it back to the shop who fitted it, and carry the consequences when we go hunting...
    Do I put some type of liquid rubber paste on the scope and put the rings back on and tighten.........google page number 12 suggested by redneck somewhere in the USA
    Or do I take the rifle to best gunsmith I can afford to sort out the issue?

Any recommendations, feedback or ideas I can try would be appreciated!

User

Default Re: HELP,my scope moved!

Don't overtighten. I have seen a reputable shop tighten the piss out of the rings and leave "ringmarks" in an very expensive Zwarovski scope. That really pissed me off.

I would take off the rings, make sure everything is clean and retighten with Blue Loctite. I have only ever used a single allen key and not a "T handle", tighten snugly with the hand and that should be sufficient.

Otherwise go to a reputable guy.

**Edit: The Thor rings usually come from the factory, covered in oil, maybe the shop neglected to remove the oil prior to mounting the scope.

On all my rings. I put a little trip of Masking tape or insulation tape.Which ever is handy on the inside of rings.

This protects the scope from marks from rings. As you might not now or ever. But when you want to sell the scope in future it will be without ring marks.

This also provides more grip. Which actually is not needed if rings correctly tight.

Just remember if taping. Tape should be on both sided of rings. Dont use redneck silicone or other stuff.

Get some Alu Black. And wipe scope. Will in most cases remove fine marks.

User

As mentioned above, I like to shim the scope tube from the mount with a very thin layer of self vulcanizing tape. This just ads a little room for better grip and it allows some “give” between the scope and the mounts when clamping a tube down. It also protects from ring-marks etc.

I am also getting tired of getting poor quality workmanship from so called “professionals”, in all areas of life. More and more I see us having to accept sub standard work while being charged a premium rate. Once they have the money, they shrug their shoulders and refuse to own what they did. Growing up I always questioned whether my grandfather’s approach of doing everything(or as much as possible) yourself wasn’t perhaps a little flawed, but the more I go on, the more I can see why he did things the way he did.

Don’t accept the shoddy work from the gun shop. Especially if they charged you for the work done. Apart from significantly devaluing your equipment, they did not deliver on what they said they would.

User

Slipie, this is a simple task. Make sure you have the required allen key/s. Loosen everything and remove from rifle. Degrease related surfaces with methylated spirits. Refit, carefully tightening in a cross fit pattern. Use two spirit levels - one on the stock, and one on the scope - to ensure the scope is level to the stock. Tighten the nuts firmly. Loctite, nailpolish and superglue have all been used successfully, but it is also not really necessary. Do not overtighten.

Rezero the rifle, now knowing everything is clean, and squared.

User

Gunshops are notoriously bad at mounting scopes. I have seen this many times on the range-excited owner shooting his new baby, but struggling to hit target/zero rifle because gunshop just attached scope to rifle rather than mounting it!

Thor base/rings need a bit of care and attention to mount correctly. Rings also benefit from being lapped. I would take it to a competent gunsmith, or find out how to do it yourself properly .

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Experienced same issue and resulted in wounded animal which we recovered next day.

Took rifle to different GS and they lapped rings and used torque screws. Have not had issue again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Think I might start off by just knocking on the gun shops door and ask them politely to rectify the problem, and take it from there.
    Thanks for the other inputs.

User

I don't think it is wise to attempt fitting a scope without a torque wrench. If the scope moves after the factory recommended torque is aplied, then there is probably an issue with the rings. I bend the tube of a good scope trying to correct misdaligned bases due to the action machined skew at factory. A Competent gunsmith machined the bases correct and now the scope fits perfect and is centered on the action. The difference was too small to be seen with the naked eye, but good enough to bend the scope and destroy the turret mechanism.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast