Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: HELP,my scope moved!

Back when I bought my first rifle (and knowing nothing of mounting scopes myself back then), I asked a gunshop who shall remain nameless to fit the scope and rings I bought from them for me. Again, being a newbie I did not know what to look for when my zero continues to shift. After a lot of googling and searching for answers on the site, a lot of problems became apparent:

Scope mount.jpg

First you can see where the scope moved of you check next to the rings with the marks on the scope.
    Second you can see how they mounted the rear ring to the rifle. This buggered up the ring completely.

Scope ring 1.jpgScope ring 2.jpg

After letting the shop and the person responsible know of my slight unsatisfactory experience with them, they were unwilling to replace the rings for me. I went to a different gun shop. They were able to get me replacement rings, as well as mounted my scope properly. Not only this, they allowed me to watch and learn from them. Since I am able to do it myself with the proper equipment.

First prize is knowing how to sort it for yourself.

Scope ring screws should be torqued to spec. If the rings leave marks on the scope, they were not fitted properly, and the uneven pressure on the scope body works them loose. Marks on the body usually result when the rings are tightened to the scope first, then to the base. It needs to be done the other way around.

Just putting the scope back in the rings is easy, but you also need to make sure you fit the scope properly aligned to the bore.

If you're in Joburg, you're welcome to pop in with it, and I'll show you the basics.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Take up 414gates's most generous offer. The components you have are all of decent quality. The fitting job went bad.

User

Grawer, your basic problem is using rings on a CZ that's not made for a CZ. Many manufacturers (Leupold, Warne, Talley to name a few, I use Warne's) make rings specifically for CZ/BRNO rifles. He rear ring should have a stud that fits in the cutout on the left-hand side of the rear action ring.

User

Thanks 414gates, appreciate your offer, but I am in CPT. I havent taken off the top rings yet. I might just go to someone who is willing to show me the basics, but by the sounds off it
    Ill be able to get it squared away.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Slipie View Post
    Thanks 414gates, appreciate your offer, but I am in CPT. I havent taken off the top rings yet. I might just go to someone who is willing to show me the basics, but by the sounds off it
    Ill be able to get it squared away.
    Where in CPT? I'm in Durbanville, can give you a hand sometime if necessary

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Banned

Gunshops are notoriously bad at mounting scopes. Yes they are, when some one brings me a rifle with wandering POA, I ask if scope was fitted in Uitenhage - if so I know the problem already.

I have always used Bostic Contact adhesive under my rings, allow to dry tacky as if gluing something. It set so solid, but not rock solid and it can just be rubbed off by hand if cleaning scope for selling. It basically just snot balls off the metal - leaving only a clean blued metal mark. The glue works by filling all gaps and imperfections creating a 100 % cohesion area (not adhesion).

Something I used to do which I found to be the ultimate solution was to use the thinnest gasket paper available. Cut a strip about a half mm narrower than the rings and bostic it into the rings, gives you a quarter mm or less hide away each side. When semi dry, tacky just place the gasket paper in position and fit scope as per normal.Does not need replacing when taking on off. There are no marks caused by doing this and the gasket allows for minor imperfections in/of rings fit or mating surface.

I still wish to try a layer of wax paper under rings some day, but that gasket paper I had was really a good fix. My .270 had in under rings for perhaps 12 years, dunno, likely still has it under rings.

I have always felt it is quite clear when the rings are tight enough, use fingers on Alan Key, not your hand and you will feel it quite clearly. The gasket paper also aids with some forgiveness regarding torque.

Still want to play with gasket paper as a spacer/bedding/filler for problem accuracy rifles. Hot wax, paper and tention ------- but thats a story for another day.

Banned

Masking tape.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Masking tape.
    I find the material slides and it has no compression factor. The glue seams to slide for ages before it desiccates enough and then masking tape becomes very brittle and fractures, powders under compression.
    Insulation tape does not brittle with time, but it becomes oily and seeps glue - the whole thing gets all slippery and ha a very low shear factor.
    Go under your car and find a old taped up wire, grab a hand full and pull along the wire, you will see how it slides over itself when older.

On my target rifles I use a scope lapping kit by Wheeler. Basically you set the rings to be exactly square to each other using the pins with the points. They must face each other, then you shim and adjust. Then use the lapping bar and paste to get the inside of the rings exactly 1inch or 30mm. Then tighten the rings to 18 inch/pounds with the torque wrench

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast