Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: HELP,my scope moved!

Just remember a few things. First get the two rings as parallel with each other as the built in tolerances (or inaccuracies if you prefer) allow. That will minimise the amount of lapping needed. There can be considerable differences in tolerance, so that some rings need a lot of lapping while others may need only a little. There are differences in the method of installing. Thor/Lynx stud type are easiest. With those, when you attach the rings to the bases, start by leaving them a tad loose so that they can rotate. Then drop in the scope and loosely fit the top caps, but that's only to avoid accidentally knocking the scope to the floor. Now bore sight the scope to a target on the wall. You must do that because Thor/Lynx rings allow so much lateral adjustment that you could end up with them lapped and tightened but so far off point of aim that you can't correct it. So you must get it roughly bore sighted laterally before you tighten the rings and lap them. Of course, dropping the scope into the rings while they are slightly loose is what will get the rings as parallel as possible before tightening.

Direct mounting rings (Sako, CZ,Tikka, Ruger) allow no mechanical adjustment so all you can do is lap them. In that sense I suppose they are the easiest. Redfield dovetail (ie dovetail locking) type must be rotated 90 deg to lock the front ring, and the scope laterally bore sighted by adjusting the rear base lock screws back and forth. I found the awkward and often leave the scope under bending stress. But, same principle, get the scope roughly bore sighted before you lap.

User

The scope of my rifle moved recently,didn’t realize till after. A big thank you to Treeman and 414Gates for their valuable advice and assistance in getting the scope mounted correctly, I really appreciate it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MohamedD View Post
    The scope of my rifle moved recently,didn’t realize till after. A big thank you to Treeman and 414Gates for their valuable advice and assistance in getting the scope mounted correctly, I really appreciate it.
    Please tell us what the problem was in the end, it can be used as reference later - all expertise is accumulated experience ?

If fitted by gun shop loose ring screws, shops are scared of over tightening.
    If fitted by self not enough torque on base screws.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just my accumulated guess work.

User

When I was at the range 2 weeks ago, I noticed the point of impact suddenly shifted after sighting in the scope. The grouping was the same but moved way down the target. I couldn’t understand how the point of impact could change so suddenly.When I checked after your suggestion that it may be the scope had moved, I had a look and saw there was a gap between the front rings and the screws were loose.The screws were loose, more so the front ring screws. Scope came mounted from the shop.Not sure if it was removed and put back by the gunsmith when bedding the rifle later on. Now that it has been tightened and torqued properly, I will take it one weekend to the range to sight it in and see how it shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Hi Slipie,

The only decent advice in this thread is the recommendation by tcbc to lap the rings. I fitted a lot of scopes in my short gunsmithing career, and discovered some basic facts of life that are not admitted by ring manufacturers and seem to be disbelieved by most rifle owners. I wrote a whole book about it, but sadly it didn't sell more than a handful of copies. But let me spell it out for you as briefly as I can. Rifles and scope bases and rings are, like all engineered items, manufactured to tolerances ie they are not zero error precise. I never found a pair of rings that were perfectly parallel to each other. They were ALL out to some extent - not parallel, leaning sideways, leaning backwards or forwards. It's not visually apparent but all it needs is a few microns to do the damage. If a ring is leaning forwards it will grip the scope by it's edge, and that point contact won't stop the scope from slipping no matter how much you tighten the top cap. Furthermore, it is not uncommon for the powerful point load to press a groove in the scope tube. In the worst cases it will scrape the finish of the scope when the scope slips, and there's a photo in my book showing just that. Of course, it's only the worst cases that actually result in the sort of consequences that happened to you, but that doesn't mean that the others are OK. After I discovered this phenomenon I lapped all the rings I fitted. When you start lapping a pair of rings it clearly shows that they are out, and in which way they are out. When you drop a scope into a pair of lapped rings you can feel the complete all round contact between rings and scope. I've said all this so often and ended up in arguments with guys who don't believe it that it's tiring. But if you'll e mail me at boothroyd@polka.co.za I'll send you some photos which I guarantee will get your attention. You don't need to pay a king's ransom for a lapping tool - pay a local machine shop to make one for you. It won't be dirt cheap but you have it for life. Alternatively sell it after you've used it for a lower price.
    Bold emphasis added by me.

An excellent book, which I recommend.

Dick, it sounds like there may be more interest in the book again?

User

Quote Originally Posted by nkosi View Post
    Bold emphasis added by me.

An excellent book, which I recommend.

Dick, it sounds like there may be more interest in the book again?
    Dick's other books are also well worth the small amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Others you say?

I will enquire via PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Please give a detailed list of these books and if known where they can be sourced. I devour books.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Please give a detailed list of these books and if known where they can be sourced. I devour books.
    Contact Dick
    Hi email is somewhere earlier on this thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4