Banned

Default Hunting B/Pig behind dogs again.

No man yusslike and Fkt, those guys do not treat those dogs right.
    I hear the reasons and I see the results, but no man, it just does not seem right.

******************will just leave this here*****************
    Going to fetch my attitude, left it some where some time ago, might need it again .

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: Hunting B/Pig behind dogs again.

Treeman, was present once in my life when the mentioned procedure took place. Was the last time. And then once a group of poachers with dogs where here at night. They also used dogs to chase down whatever they could find. The said night they ran into Bushpig that was killed with an assegai, but these okes have untrained dogs of all sorts. Dogs got injured, will also leave it just there. (And SAPS where just interested in "where is the pig, they must confiscate it....)

My idea of Bushpig hunting is on my own, in the mealies with a rifle and torch, stalk them till you get really scared and can hear them breathing, switch on the light and shoot. If the moonlight are sufficient, do it without a torch. I have also bought myself a PARD attachment for the scoped 30-06 rifle. I am still in 2 minds about it. Have taken a few bushpig by using it, but follow up shots or quick second shots are impossible. But it works good enough for me, but still not sure if success rate will be better than with the "stalk and torch" method with the .44 Lever gun. (Yes I know, Treeman and Messor would both agree that the reason I am not sure about success is because the PARD is on a 30-06 and not a 308.)

Banned

Adoons, you certainly doing it the real way.
    That feeling when you totally tuned in and can hear them eating and blowing, when they stop! And you stop, and they listen and you listen...........................
    They decide it was nothing they thought they heard, you move again, 5 more steps you tell yourself -4,3,2,one more, angle is wrong, and wait, wait, do not move a ball hair, wait, it turns and looks straight at you. Head shot? You sure? .............................................

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Adoons, you certainly doing it the real way.That feeling when you totally tuned in and can hear them eating and blowing, when they stop! And you stop, and they listen and you listen...........................They decide it was nothing they thought they heard, you move again, 5 more steps you tell yourself -4,3,2,one more, angle is wrong, and wait, wait, do not move a ball hair, wait, it turns and looks straight at you. Head shot? You sure? .............................................
    An old omie I once met once went for a night stroll on his farm and decided to take a shortcut through a little valley close to home. He walked into a clearing, heard something and stopped to listen. As the seconds ticked by he realised that he was amongst a whole family (founder?) of pigs. If memory serves correct he counted 14 animals, without the piglets.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

"Do not move a ball hair"... bwa hahaha

The problem is that the ball hairs rustles from the hard beating of the heart.

I don't know a lot of guys that hunt bushpig this way, most people are simply too scared to attempt it. I know a lot that want to, but most of them only join me once. Bushpig at night in the mealies really scare some big fellow with big guns! I was entertained by a guy with .458 Lott the other day. When he saw in the moonlight the mealies are rattling 3 rows from our position (0,9 m rows, meaning pig is 2,7 m away) he whispered in my ear: "Ain't he going to stampede into us?" I whispered back as the pig where munching away: "I think he might, yes." By now I was having fun with him as he rattled so badly he would certainly miss. On that he moved to get himself in a position with that .458 Lott that I am between him and the pig. Well, I don't let a stressed man with a loaded Lott in his hands stand behind me with a bushpig 3 m away and I can hear the other blokes heart beating. So I slowly got hold of the barrel of his rifle, made sure it is not in my direction and told the pig to leave. He did just that. They don,t come towards a threat when on their own. With piglets in the group they might, but not the lone boars. The gent was a bit furious as he wanted to shoot a bushpig. So I told him if he wants to shoot, don't stand behind me, lets go home and have coffee.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    An old omie I once met once went for a night stroll on his farm and decided to take a shortcut through a little valley close to home. He walked into a clearing, heard something and stopped to listen. As the seconds ticked by he realised that he was amongst a whole family (founder?) of pigs. If memory serves correct he counted 14 animals, without the piglets.
    It's called a Sounder of pigs

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    It's called a Sounder of pigs

A passel - sounder - float - team - drove - drift, a crowd and a few more

User

Earlier this year I was invited to join a "driven hunt" for bushpig by a friend. He found the hunt offered on a facebook hunting group and everything looked kosher. So off the 5 of us went. I had never heard of hunting bushpig like this before (in SA), being used to hunting them at night, and sometimes setting up a bait station. But, there is a lot of things I don't know and I thought it might be fun.

I dont want to eleborate too much on what happened but it was a fiasco. Dogs were shot by mistake etc.

Never again.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk