Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is There Something Wrong With My Glock 17 Gen 5?

So picked up my Glock 17 Gen 5 with front serrations yesterday and am super stoked. Just two small issues.

Could guys familiar with G17 Gen 5s possibly comment if they have come across this.

Was messing around with it and oiling and so forth to check all was ok and came across a possible issue. Let me try and explain.

1) So when I pull the slide back, at about the point at which when 5-10mm of the ejector starts protruding, there is some resistance for a little bit, as if two parts are rubbing against one another and is not running smooth. On my G19 Gen 4 I don't have this resistance it is smooth all the way until the slide can go no further.

2) Also when you are disassembling the gun and have pulled it back a few cm and pulled down on the tabs and are in the process of pushing the slide forward and off the frame, instead of being able to push it all the way it get's stuck and you have to push with a little force with your thumb to get it to move. I believe it could be the ejector contacting the slide cover plate. You can just lift it up and off the frame but I don't have that issue with my G19 Gen 4.

Here's the issue, resistance means friction and if it's possibly metal on metal that means wear and tear (and perhaps not in the right place) and metal flakes. And from what I understand the slide is meant to run smoothly, and like I said I don't have this with the G19 Gen 4.

Now I'm not sure if these two things are just Gen 5 issues or are indeed particular to my gun.

I also just dropped off my Glock 19 Gen 4 at City Guns which is shooting badly to the left (there's a thread on this somewhere as well) and they are sending it off to Bernhard Agencies, so not having much luck with Glocks if there is something wrong with the Gen 5...

The guy at CC said the resistance is nothing to worry about, but it doesn't feel right to me. Resistance means two parts are rubbing together. It's not major resistance but it is enough to cause wear and tear.

I'm not so much worried about the disassembly issue (the CC guy also said to just lift it up instead of slide it all the way forward as I'm use to), as the slide is going in the wrong direction when it gets stuck and that won't happen when firing, it's more the first issue as that could have actual consequences.

I will only be able to shoot the gun on Monday so will have a much better idea then but thought I would get some opinions in the mean time.
    But apart from that I like the Gen 5, better trigger than the Gen 4 which is a huge plus for me, feels like it will shoot better than the 19, feels good in the hand which is always better than the alternative.

This first pic is past the point of when the resistance starts (but I only have two hands so had to take a pic when the slide was locked back), but gives you an idea of where it is.

Here is a pic of where the slide gets stuck when pushing forward when disassembling.

Maybe I should just I have gone with a CZ P10 F

User

Default Re: Is There Something Wrong With My Glock 17 Gen 5?

To be honest it seems like a non issue to me. If you're on the Gunsite FB group you can post your questions there as well. BigT will get you sorted

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Banned

It seems that this is a common occurrence with Gen 5 Glocks. My 19 has the same issue, the slide cannot be replaced unless the extractor is pushed slightly to the left, to get it past the backplate. The extractor is slightly bend to ride up tight against the slide. I suppose this is to help with the extraction cycle. It bothered me in the beginning, but it is obviously designed on purpose like that, so I'll rather trust the Glock engineers and leave it as is !
    For my own sanity, I just put a little drop of oil there on the slide every time I clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoisOK View Post
    It seems that this is a common occurrence with Gen 5 Glocks. My 19 has the same issue, the slide cannot be replaced unless the extractor is pushed slightly to the left, to get it past the backplate. The extractor is slightly bend to ride up tight against the slide. I suppose this is to help with the extraction cycle. It bothered me in the beginning, but it is obviously designed on purpose like that, so I'll rather trust the Glock engineers and leave it as is !
    For my own sanity, I just put a little drop of oil there on the slide every time I clean it.
    Yes this the very same thing that I have. It is a little worrying as it looks like it could be metal on metal contact but it seems to not make contact by less than a millimeter. Will soon see once I head out to the range as the wear will quickly show. Thanks for the response.

I think I will contact Bernhard Agencies directly with an e-mail concerning the other issue. They should be able to sort me out.

User

All of mine have similar stickiness or feeling of stickiness at similar points as you describe. To me it’s just by design, but rather get a professional opinion if it bothers you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    All of mine have similar stickiness or feeling of stickiness at similar points as you describe. To me it’s just by design, but rather get a professional opinion if it bothers you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I just can't figure out what would cause it though. If it's designed like that then fine, what worries me if it's metal on metal.

It's a new plastic gun built for mass production as cheaply as possible. Yes parts contact; you will see plastic and metal wear if you shoot it. It does not matter.

User

Perfection

User

Both my Gen 4's have resistance in the same place when disassembling.
    The rails run metal on metal for every shot. So does the lockup and slide / barrel

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    Both my Gen 4's have resistance in the same place when disassembling.
    The rails run metal on metal for every shot. So does the lockup and slide / barrel
    Sure, but you oil the rails and barrel. I'm just not sure where the resistance is occurring; it could be in a particularly bad place that you don't want wear or it could be normal for a Gen 5.

Look, I'm just being extra cautious right out the gate to just find out if it is an issue. I guess I'm so used to my Gen 4 that anything different and I notice it.

I don't want something to break after using it for a few months in and have to wait another 7 months for a licence or whatever other scenario might play out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast