Default Noob question about license and weapons

So with my interest in firearms in general peaking I have a question.

What happens if one has a firearm with a white license that has already expired for a few years?

User

Default Re: Noob question about license and weapons

You've missed the amnesty, it seems you may be in a pickle. Have a chat to a attorney about possible steps you could take, but I think you maybe in for some bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by gertvanjoe View Post
    So with my interest in firearms in general peaking I have a question.

What happens if one has a firearm with a white license that has already expired for a few years?
    As far as I know, it is considered unlicensed and illegal

There is a court case under way in which the court said that the gun remains your property even if the license expires so you can reapply for the license. SAPS appealed so you will have to wait until the case concludes.

Well fortunately it's not my weapon or even in my property. It just came up as I expressed my newfound interest in wireless hole punches to them and they mentioned that they too have one. I then excitedly mentioned that we should go and plink, I'll pay the ammo and the above mentioned info came to light.

User

Is there a green licence in play with this firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Is there a green licence in play with this firearm?
    Afaik both green and white (expired)

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertvanjoe View Post
    Afaik both green and white (expired)
    The Green License never expires... But some say you forfeit your green when you applied for white, some say thats not so.

What does the police a d the range officer say? Can one take a green licence there safely and plink?

User

Does the Fidelity case judgement come into play here instead? I'd ask your DFO what your position is...

"The order of the high court is set aside and in its place is substituted the following:'6.1 It is declared that the applicant, Fidelity Security Services (Pty) Ltd, is entitled to apply afresh for new licences to possess the firearms listed in annexure D to the applicant’s notice of motion and the Designated Firearms Officer responsible for the area in which the applicant’s principal place of business is situated is directed to accept such applications and deal therewith in terms of the Firearms Control Act 60 of 2000."