Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Push Feed vs Controlled Feed

I am (like always) looking into the feasibility of another hunting rifle. It will be one of the following: 6,5X55 SM, 7x57 or 25-06.

The caliber can be discussed later.

When searching for decent used rifles there are some options available. Howa, Tikka, Remington, Ruger, CZ etc. Some of them have push feeding and some don't. Then when reading up for instance on "Howa problems", there are a lot of comments on the web about feeding problems and how to correct it. Same with Tikka T3. I agree, it is not a dangerous game rifle, but feeding problems due to the push feed actions will be an irritation in the hunting field on plains game as well. There are lots of push feed rifles being used, but if I need to search longer and pay a bit more for a controlled feeding actioned rifle, then so be it. I am in no specific hurry.

Question: Do push feed really have feeding problems for instance on Howa type actions or is it a once in a while event that is not actually a problem, but just ranted about on the www?

All the rifles I have available to shoot with are controlled feeders. I have shot a few push feed rifles from other owners over the years. Some of them worked flawlessly and others not. This has me in the mode of rather wait and search than just looking at price and availability. I stand to be convinced in any direction.

User

Default Re: Push Feed vs Controlled Feed

I have 5 different Howas in various stocks( factory laminate x2, Boyds x1, Gunwarrior chasis x1 and a custom laminated stock). In two rifles, I use the factory bottom metal/magazine, in two I have replacement bottom metals with AICS-type magazines, the chasis has built in BM with a MDT or Magpul ACIS-type magazine.

I have not had feeding issues with any of these. My rifles are used for hunting and a variety of sport shooting(veldskiet, NRL type matches, gong shoots and some long range shooting).

I would not be concerned to buy a push feed rifle for normal hunting. They feeding problems that I have seen from other peoples rifles were mostly related to aftermarket magazines/bottom metals not fitted properly, stocks not bedded properly, or handloaded ammo with very long COL.

User

Very occasionally have an issue with my Howa, I think it is more related to how I cycle the bolt. Don’t have a problem if I’m not being over hasty and short cycling the bolt.

User

I use both types. I do not think that either type are more reliable than the other as far as feeding problems are concerned.

I currently hunt with two Howa rifles and until recently used a third. I experienced feeding problems with one of the Howa's, after re-barreling it to a different caliber. A day trip to the gunsmith who did the re-barreling job sorted the problem out. Never had a problem with the other two, despite using one for more than 20 years.

I currently hunt with two controlled feed action rifles, a 7x57 built by Musgrave on a VZ24 Brno action and a Parker Hale .375 H&H. I have been using the 7x57 for more than 30 years, a few years after purchasing it the rifle started giving feeding problems. I replaced the magazine spring and it has been fine since then. It will however not feed flat nosed bullets unless the action is cycled vigorously. The same 7x57 once suffered from a broken firing pin, I replaced the firing pin and it was fine.

The .375 was a problematic rifle to start with, it feeded perfectly (even flat nosed bullets) but occasionally did not eject empty cases (it did extract them though). The empty cases would occasionally lie on the magazine follower after extraction. Initially the ejector was blamed but it turned out that the extractor lost its grip on the case rim occasionally. I ended up having a new extractor claw fitted and it now functions perfectly.

My Rem VSSF is push feed. Cant say have had issues over the year.

My Sako 222 rem I bought for my daughter to shoot is controlled feed.

Both of these two operates smoothly.

So may answer might not help you I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    My Rem VSSF is push feed. Cant say have had issues over the year.

My Sako 222 rem I bought for my daughter to shoot is controlled feed.

Both of these two operates smoothly.

So may answer might not help you I guess.
    Under correction, but i have never seen a Sako thats control fed.

My tikkas and sakos are push feed and i have never had an issue with them.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Thanks gents. This is really helpful to get comments from South-African citizens actually using (hunting) with these rifles and like Bonedoc using them for a lot of other shooting as well.

That 6,5x55 Howa at my local gunshop is looking more and more like a probable "yes".

There are also some great rifles available on Gunafrica in any of the calibers I am looking at.

It seems I must stop worrying push feed and just buy one of them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by aimpoint View Post
    Under correction, but i have never seen a Sako thats control fed.

My tikkas and sakos are push feed and i have never had an issue with them.
    They make a lot of different models, there are certainly controlled feed models in the line up.

But on the subject, either can have a feeding issue, you just don't know till you find out.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    They make a lot of different models, there are certainly controlled feed models in the line up.

But on the subject, either can have a feeding issue, you just don't know till you find out.
    Sako markets the model 85 as being a controlled feed action. There is a lot of debate about whether it is indeed a true controlled feed action. As far as the OP is considered, this is probably irrelevant.

User

Controlled feed is one of those things that get hyped up out of all proportions by people who often do not understand the pros and cons of the system.
    Controlled feed is useful (almost mandatory) for dangerous game rifles in typical DG calibers. This is because it allows the round to be fed even if the rifle is canted, and also because it should eject a round if you manage to short-stroke the bolt under stress. This may be a life saver under certain conditions.
    The snag with controlled feed is that the action must be fine tuned to feed reliably, as there are more things that can snag a cartridge on it's way into the chamber. You definitely don't want a cheap or rough controlled feed actioned rifle. That will be worse than push feed for DG applications.

When it comes to normal hunting of "non-dangerous" animals, the benefits of controlled feed become moot. Yes, you may land in a tight spot with an unfriendly bushbuck, bushpig, warthog, oryx, porcupine, baboon, duiker or whatever, as these "non-dangerous" game may not always be willing to sacrifice their lives peacefully. If this is an issue to you, then a reliable controlled feed rifle may have some merit. For the vast majority of game hunters, a push feed will be perfect. They are easier to get reliable, cost less to make and seem to have a slight accuracy edge, although this may be subjective.

The reason why some push feed rifles may have feeding issues, has to do with the price you were willing to pay for the rifle. Cheap rifles are often finished roughly in some spots. You could also easily smooth those areas if you knew where to look.

On the Tikka T3 the gaudy plastic mags are the prime source of feeding issues. One can only wonder how such a well-made rifle can be sold with such a crappy mag. Well, the after-market mag market is booming.

On the Howas, the bolt face and mag feed lips seem a little rough. Some knowledgeable TLC here may do wonders for smooth and reliable feeding.

If your controlled-feed rifle has feeding issues, the fix is usually not so easy...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast