Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Push Feed vs Controlled Feed

My 2c with some massive generalizations:
    - push feed is probably more accurate - easier action design to manufacture to very fine tolerances. Up to the point of going bang, the push feed gets the bullet on target (which is what shooting is all about I suppose). The fun potentially starts with extraction - non-event if you're shooting off the bench and have extraction issues. PITA if you're in the hunting field.
    - controlled feed - cartridge goes where it's supposed to, into the chamber with minimum fuss. After the bang, the empty case comes out, ready for a reload. Ideal for hunting if a second shot is needed and time is of the essence. Maybe the shooting precision (accuracy) is a little less than the push-feed but for hunting purposes CRF gives what I need it in terms of accuracy, and reliability in and out of the round is important to me.

If I was building a precision or long range benchrest rig, I'd happily go push-feed. For hunting rifles, I will stick with CRF. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

PS: To the OP, just get the 6.5x55 and move on - you know it's the right choice

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

I disagree, arguably the best bolt action battle rifle is a push feed action. It's is designed to have very loose tolerances so keep a dirty rifle going in battle. In that respect it outshines the M98 action.

User

I cannot see why there would be an accuracy or precision penalty with either type?

With regards to Lee-Enfield rifles; more accurate to call them hybrid types; at least in my experience. The cartridge rim slides under the extractor quite reliably when feeding from the magazine. Also has no problem just droping the round on the feed ramp. For single shots

Quote Originally Posted by aimpoint View Post
    Agree, my mod 85 is not a control feed. I only grips the catridge once the bolt is fully closed. If you pull back on the bolt before you close it the catridge does not come back. However one closed it grips the catridge and only ejects the catridge/case once fully pulled back. This is why they call it control feed. They should have called it a controlled ejection system. My opinion anyway.
    You sure you have a Model 85? Sako says all their 85's are.

https://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85

Yes its a Mod 85, i know Sako calls it a control feed action, but there has always been a debate about whether it truly is or not. In my opinion its not. However saying that its an awesome action, super smooth and has never given me issues.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    •Jumped on the trampoline and chambered.
    •Ran around the yard dodging kids and dogs and chambered
    •Lying on my back, on the trampoline, with the rifles upside down while the kids jumped and chambered
    • shaking the rifles vigorously and chambered.
    I am impressed by your dedication! I swear there are rifle manufacturers who go to less trouble to test their products.

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    I cannot see why there would be an accuracy or precision penalty with either type?

With regards to Lee-Enfield rifles; more accurate to call them hybrid types; at least in my experience. The cartridge rim slides under the extractor quite reliably when feeding from the magazine. Also has no problem just droping the round on the feed ramp. For single shots
    As it was designed to do
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I am impressed by your dedication! I swear there are rifle manufacturers who go to less trouble to test their products.
    It was a lot of fun, I even put of P37 webbing for the hell of it 😂. I did not fix bayonets.

User

Cordite...We really need to see a video of your tests. Please include neighbors expressions.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Cordite...We really need to see a video of your tests. Please include neighbors expressions.
    I can tell you my wife looked unimpressed 😂
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast