Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    Oxy-Acetylene runs about double the temp of gun powder.
    The hottest powers burn slightly under the melting point of chrome.
    Not saying there won't be damage, but its unlikely anyone is shooting enough to damage a chrome limned chamber, especially if they are shooting factory ammo.
    I have an R1 with the chrome chamber worn away along one side. It is thin. Not like one would see on a shaft or the like. I never used to worry about cracked pistol cases until noticing marks on the breach face of a Glock pistol. A friend has erosion on the bolt face of a rifle from a single pierced primer. The crack concentrates the gas on a small area and acts much like a torch.

Default Re: Barnaul 5.56 in LM4

Why do they crack? Steel not brass!

Peter

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    The crack concentrates the gas on a small area and acts much like a torch.
    Does that fact that it's a high pressure stream in a concentrated area make the melting temperature of the chrome lining less relevant to the damage that can be caused?

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Does that fact that it's a high pressure stream in a concentrated area make the melting temperature of the chrome lining less relevant to the damage that can be caused?
    If the case still seals in the chamber, and I have no reason to to believe that it will not, then the hot gas blows parallel to the neck wall. This may cause some flame erosion, but the totally exposed chamber throat just in front of it is totally exposed and will wear away much faster.

So if you still think it's an issue, I will gladly take them off your hands and dispose of them in a safe and legal manner.

User

Quote Originally Posted by High Power View Post
    Why do they crack? Steel not brass!

Peter
    Steel cases with various coatings. Not sure why the would crack in 1 rifle and be fine in another.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    Steel cases with various coatings. Not sure why the would crack in 1 rifle and be fine in another.
    I think the Saiga is made to tighter tolerances than the LM, and thus the less malleable steel does not have to stretch as much to seal in the chamber... My 2 cents... Also, only about 1 in 5 crack in the LM...

User

That makes sense to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2