Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default TheQM – Pangolin Vehicle Gun Safe Q&A

Much has been said about vehicle safes. Are they legal? Where do I get it installed? Will it protect my gun? Must my vehicle have an alarm? Etc

We’ve asked the manufacturers to jump in on this thread and answer any of your questions.

Welcome aboard Andrew and Mario from Pangolin.

So please folks, ask away…

To order, follow the link to the online store:
    https://www.thequartermaster.co.za/i...earch=pangolin

or contact us on 011-477-7031 or email us on sales@theqm.co.za

MAG
    #TheQM

User

Default Re: TheQM – Pangolin Vehicle Gun Safe Q&A

Great stuff, driving a high risk vehicle based on South Africa vehicle theft stats I would like to know,

Are they legal?

Will it protect my gun? So how easy is it to breach the safe compared to my SABS standards home safe?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bundu Ric View Post
    Great stuff, driving a high risk vehicle based on South Africa vehicle theft stats I would like to know,

Are they legal?

Will it protect my gun? So how easy is it to breach the safe compared to my SABS standards home safe?

The Pangolin H complies with the FCA, the Regulations and SANS 953-1:2018 for vehicle safes. A proper installation with certificate is required to make it legal.

It will certainly protect your gun. It is far more difficult to breach than your conventional SABS home firearm safe since it is designed and built to pass the Resistance to Attack test in SANS 953-1, which it did. Conventional home firearm safes are not required to pass this test. The Pangolin H was not breached in 30 minutes vs about 10 seconds for a conventional safe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MarioKuisis View Post
    The Pangolin H complies with the FCA, the Regulations and SANS 953-1:2018 for vehicle safes. A proper installation with certificate is required to make it legal.

It will certainly protect your gun. It is far more difficult to breach than your conventional SABS home firearm safe since it is designed and built to pass the Resistance to Attack test in SANS 953-1, which it did. Conventional home firearm safes are not required to pass this test. The Pangolin H was not breached in 30 minutes vs about 10 seconds for a conventional safe.
    So the SANS spec indicates that a B3 safe must have a door capable of opening at least 90 degrees. Your blurb indicated an 80 degree opening IIRC? If it misses that one, what else might it miss?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    So the SANS spec indicates that a B3 safe must have a door capable of opening at least 90 degrees. Your blurb indicated an 80 degree opening IIRC? If it misses that one, what else might it miss?
    The Pangolin H Series safes employ a clamshell construction (as contemplated in the FIREARMS CONTROL ACT - REGULATIONS) so there is no door and theoretically therefore the requirement is not applicable. However the purpose of the clause is to ensure good access to the interior of the safe and this must be respected. The Pangolin solution opening to more than 80° affords significantly better access than a conventional safe at 90°, or even 180° as in a type C1 safe.

User

Where would this typically be mounted in a car? That design seems to preclude under-seat mounting

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Where would this typically be mounted in a car? That design seems to preclude under-seat mounting
    You would think under-seat mounting could not work as we also did at first, but then realised that because seats can be moved forward and back, it often is a workable option. It has to be checked carefully though, because many vehicles have electronics under the seats allowing no usable space whatsoever.

These are examples that have been found to be practical solutions:
    • On the floor immediately in front of the front passenger seat
    • On the floor partly under the driver’s seat, which is pushed back for access
    • On the floor in front of a left or right rear passenger seat
    • On the floor in front of a left or right rear rear passenger seat but partly under a front seat, which may need to be pushed forward for access
    • In the boot of a car or load bin of a bakkie
    • On the steel platform behind the front seats in extended cab bakkies.

We are finding people have real creativity in finding a convenient spot for a compact safe, even in small vehicles.

User

Thanks for your reply :)

Next question- the installer certificate. Do you guys have to do the install or can you ship it to a customer and have someone in their area do the install?

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Thanks for your reply :)

Next question- the installer certificate. Do you guys have to do the install or can you ship it to a customer and have someone in their area do the install?
    A blank installation certificate is supplied with the safe.

We do not do the installation ourselves, but leave that to the customer to arrange with a professional service provider convenient to them. To ensure a quality installation we prefer to have the customer put us in touch with the installer so that we can assist with comprehensive instructions and get feedback.

It takes time, but our aim is to build up a network of reputable installers nationally.

User

As far as I recall, one of the requirements is that the vehicle must have an immobiliser. This means it cannot be installed in a caravan/trailer? Is there any option for a caravan, when you are going camping?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast