User

Default Handheld Thermal advice

I am so far out of my depth here.

I need to purchase a handheld thermal monocular for personal/civilian use. I have had one to many close calls when things go bump in the night. I have no idea where to start. My house backs up on a park, where we have made several arrests. And generally not a safe/good place. I need to be able to look out my window and scan the said piece of land to check for humans. My camera system I have installed monitoring the park has its limits. About 50m with the built in night vision. I need to cover at-least 400 m distance clearly.

What should I be looking at? I have browsed the net and there is way to much conflicting info on brands and models for my intended use.

Thank you in advance.

User

Default Re: Handheld Thermal advice

Just remember thermal has problems seeing anything through glass so you will have to stand at open window. the glass blocks the thermals from reaching the device. The only other is nightvision for this purpose unless you are going to be outside.

User

Quote Originally Posted by S14Phoenix View Post
    Just remember thermal has problems seeing anything through glass so you will have to stand at open window. the glass blocks the thermals from reaching the device. The only other is nightvision for this purpose unless you are going to be outside.
    I will be outside, from a balcony. Will also use is on the farm when out and about.

User

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE View Post

I need to purchase a handheld thermal monocular for personal/civilian use. I have had one to many close calls when things go bump in the night. I have no idea where to start. My house backs up on a park, where we have made several arrests. And generally not a safe/good place. I need to be able to look out my window and scan the said piece of land to check for humans. My camera system I have installed monitoring the park has its limits. About 50m with the built in night vision. I need to cover at-least 400 m distance clearly.

What should I be looking at? I have browsed the net and there is way to much conflicting info on brands and models for my intended use.

Thank you in advance.
    What about using an infrared flood light to perhaps light up the area better for your CCTV Camera?

User

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE View Post

Thank you in advance.
    I suppose it all depends on what your budget is and how far you want to identify people. Thermal is a lot more expensive in comparison to NV. Although it highlights people/animals way way better, the actual identification distance is a lot closer than would be idea. In your case if there is anyone let’s say at 200m in this “park” at night will you be able to safely assume it is someone that shouldn’t be there? Or do you have security patrolling the area? Because then NV will be better to see if it’s someone wearing a uniform etc. If the park has lots of foliage then thermal will better highlight people hiding in brush. Once you have decided if thermal is exactly what you want, then decide and a budget and go for a good solid brand. I personally would look at Pulsar. Although ATN is slightly cheaper they have much more quality issues. Keep an eye on gunafrica’s classifieds. Every now and then you get some good second hand deals.

User

Have you managed to find something suitable yet ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk