Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Dodgy Savage 300WM

Good day

I want to ask if any members can assist with helping me and my Savage.
    I have a brand new Savage 111 LRH in 300WM that is shooting crap out the box.
    Brand new one piece rail and rings on a brand new Leupold scope all torqued to spec with a FAT wrench including the action screws.
    When i bore sighted at 25m there is a sub MOA group, when taken to 100m i get a 5 inch plus inconsistent group.

Default Re: Dodgy Savage 300WM

Well, I would lap the rings and check alignment before tightening.

Then shoot the barrel in, progressive cleaning. Most likely the bore is quite rough, will need shooting in.

Start with that , then look further

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Raw1 View Post
    Good day

I want to ask if any members can assist with helping me and my Savage.
    I have a brand new Savage 111 LRH in 300WM that is shooting crap out the box.
    Brand new one piece rail and rings on a brand new Leupold scope all torqued to spec with a FAT wrench including the action screws.
    When i bore sighted at 25m there is a sub MOA group, when taken to 100m i get a 5 inch plus inconsistent group.
    Could you post some more info re the ammo you are shooting? Factory or handloads? Have you checked the barrel channel clearance (is the barrel free floating) and the action screws tightened properly?

If you are sure the rail and rings are torques an fitted correctly, you should change three things, one at a time, and test the changes.

First test is get someone [ that can shoot ] to shoot the rifle for you as it is now. This will eliminate you as a problem.

Second, put another scope on the rifle, and test that.

Third, try a box of factory ammo, if you are shooting reloads.

Looking at this and reflecting, 5or 6 MOA is massive deviation. I support 414 comments, and add this: look for something touching as it warms or something loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

When you say sub-MOA at 25m, what exactly do you mean?

1 MOA at 25m is ~7mm, sub-MOA becomes difficult to measure when shooting 7.62mm bullets...

Given where your impacts are at 25m, is the average point of the impacts at 100m where you'd expect it to be?

User

Are you shooting with a suppressor or muzzle brake? If I recall, LRH has integral muzzle brake with circumferential holes. Although it helps with recoil, the muzzle blast can put you off.

What type of rest are you using?

Does the stock fit you well? You can adjust the length of pull, but the stock doesn't have an adjustable cheek piece.

How is the trigger compared to other rifles you are used to?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    Could you post some more info re the ammo you are shooting? Factory or handloads? Have you checked the barrel channel clearance (is the barrel free floating) and the action screws tightened properly?
    The ammo used is Federal Power Shock 180g and yes the barrel is free floating.
    I've put 38 rounds of this ammo through the rifle.

User

What I have seen once with a new rifle is that the screws used to mount the bipod was just long enough to almost touch the barrel when resting on the bipod. These screws touched the barrel when shooting. The precision was terrible.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    If you are sure the rail and rings are torques an fitted correctly, you should change three things, one at a time, and test the changes.

First test is get someone [ that can shoot ] to shoot the rifle for you as it is now. This will eliminate you as a problem.

Second, put another scope on the rifle, and test that.

Third, try a box of factory ammo, if you are shooting reloads.
    I doubt its me that's the problem as ive owned 30-06, .308 .375 .223 and .243 rifles and i shoot all of them just fine but i will get a buddy to try it out.
    I tested the scope on a brand new .243 that i bought at the same time as the 300wm and no issues.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast