Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Dodgy Savage 300WM

I do not think a damaged or angled crown will have that much effect without the problem being clearly visible. There are enough clips and articles around of barrels trimmed with hacksaws and angle grinders to show that.

Last thing I can think of. Someone on a different forum had a problem where the original recoil lug was not square. This person could tune his group sizes by adjusting the torque on the action screws.

If I remember correctly he eventually purchased an aftermarket recoil lug and had the rifle bedded to take the new lug. Since then, I would have to think really long and hard before purchasing a rifle with a removable recoil lug.

It sounds like you need the services of a good gunsmith.

i would take it to a gunsmith and a full check done

What ammo / bullet / load is being used ? What is the barrel twist ?

If you've done the basic checks, and the problem persists, next step you need a gunsmith to check it more thoroughly.

Some time ago I was going to buy a new stainless 116. I passed it up for a model 70, and it was sold to someone else shortly after. I saw the rifle back on the shelf about a year later. It had been returned, and was booked to be shipped back to Savage in the US.

The rifle had a problem that could not be fixed, and had to go back to the manufacturer. What the actual problem was I never found out.

These things happen with new rifles. A competent gunsmith can check the chamber, barrel, etc, and tell you if there is a manufacturing defect.

Advise Savage as well that you have a problem

User

The rifle has been taken to the shops gunsmith where the rifle was purchased for them to have a look at it. I have also sent Savage an email explaining the problem.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    My main suspect is always the crown.
    Im hoping it’s as simple as a crown issue.

User

Is there any pattern to the shots? Maybe post some pics of targets. Maybe your rifle just do not like the ammo (I think you only mentioned one type of ammo)

Default Dodgy Savage 300WM

With that variation and all that you have checked, I’m thinking headspace and/or lead, or crown.

Something physical which is introducing variation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Savage has a well deserved reputation for accuracy, so you are right to expect much better.

That being said, a few duds have been recorded from them, and a few other makers. Do have everything checked out.

Savage barrels generally come a little rough from the factory. Proper break-in and even some polishing may be required.

Using just 1 type of ammo is not a good test of a rifle's accuracy potential. Do look for a few other types and makes, and see if they don't do better.

User

300wm by Rory Abrahams, on Flickr

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast