Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Dodgy Savage 300WM

That looks like 2 groups and a flier. Although you have checked, it looks like something moving in the sighting system. Variable dimensions in ammo, combined with dodgy headspace could also do it.

I’d break in the barrel first, lots of ways of doing that on internet, and get crown and headspace checked. Also try another brand of ammo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

I received feedback from the gunsmith and they say everything check out fine on the rifle and they want to go and shoot it.
    Apparently it needs to be shot on a private range because of Covid.

If the dimensions are in spec, it reduces the factors a lot. One issue I’ve had, many years ago with a Musgrave . 308, is that everything was only just in spec. Trueness, headspace, chamber, bolt lug bearing surfaces, etc. What that did was amplify any ammo variability.

What ammo have you used so far, and ask them to give feedback on the ammo they use. Bullet weight and brand.

And try and shoot a series of 5 shot and 10 shot groups. It will show if things are moving while heating. One theory I have over the 5 shot group you showed is 2 groups and a pulled shot. Number 2. Some time cooling down after number 3 will return 4 to its first group. It’s a hypothesis, but fits the small evidence!

User

Ive only tested with one type of ammo, Federal Power Shock in 180g. Im not going to spend more on ammo until they can give me an answer as to why a BNIB Savage is shooting so kak. I dont see how factory ammo can by so off in a rifle at 100m.

I asked if i could go with to the range and they said no its a private range (Leeuwkop Prison).

Default Dodgy Savage 300WM

I do agree, but it’s about reducing sources of variation.

Also ask them to shoot a slow group, allowing barrel to cool between shots, and a quick string. See if PoI gives different groupings

User

I received some feedback from the importer and they would like there Gunsmith to have a look at it after the shops gunsmith takes it to the range for test fire.
    Hopefully this will be be done in the next week or 2.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Raw1 View Post
    Ive only tested with one type of ammo, Federal Power Shock in 180g. Im not going to spend more on ammo until they can give me an answer as to why a BNIB Savage is shooting so kak. I dont see how factory ammo can by so off in a rifle at 100m...
    So how do you know the issue is with the rifle and not with the ammo?

and updates on this thread? Interested to hear the outcome

User

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    and updates on this thread? Interested to hear the outcome
    I managed to get the gun to the importers and went with them to the range and let them mount the scope and they shot it and still no groupings.
    They sent the rifle to their recommended gunsmith and he said the barrel is fucked from the factory and needs to be replaced.

The importers have agreed to replace my rifle with a Savage 110 Desert Tactical in 300 WM so im pretty happy with the end result.

User

Well done to the importers but how to compensate you for the new licensing hassles or is there some way to fast-track it under these circumstances?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast