Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 vs 6.5

Default 308 vs 6.5

yes there's a ton of info about the pros and cons of both for hunting so forgive me asking

I don't hunt much so barrel life isn't an issue
    I'm fairy light weight so a light rifle with less recoil is good.
    I won't shoot more then 250m - 300m
    Have shot kudu and springbok and hope to shoot gemsbok and maybe an eland oneday.
    I'm not confident on head shots so mostly vital organ shots

For south african hunting at this distance and for these animals would a 6.5 be ok?

Default Re: 308 vs 6.5

I would rather take a 308. Been around forever and will be.

There is calibers that come up during the years. And then later they fade away and get replaced by another one that everyone will go for again.

Believe it or not. This will the same for the 6.5.

If you think a 308 has to much recoil. Then you are very recoil sensitive. lol.

I have an Ase SL5 on mine. And it s joy to shoot the 308.

What is the bullet weight and type you will use to hunt the biggest animal. You may not know up front, so find out from people who hunt that animal successfully.

You will use that bullet to hunt anything smaller. It is possible to use multiple bullet weights in a given caliber, but practically a hunting rifle is sighted in for one load, and unless you intend spending a lot of time and money developing and sighting in multiple loads, you will most likely hunt with one load.

What is the required impact velocity to reliably hunt that animal with the chosen bullet, at the maximum range you intend to take the shot.

Those answers will tell you which caliber is better suited for you.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    yes there's a ton of info about the pros and cons of both for hunting so forgive me asking

Have shot kudu and springbok and hope to shoot gemsbok and maybe an eland oneday.

For south african hunting at this distance and for these animals would a 6.5 be ok?
    I have successfully hunted all of the antelope you mentioned with both the 6.5x55 and the 6.5 Creedmoor, taking heart/lung shots. Provided that you use a monolithic expanding bullet or a really good lead core premium bullet like the Swift A-frame the 6.5mm's perform reliably on the large antelope, even on angled shots.

Having said that, if I owned only one rifle and had to choose from the cartridges you mention, I would choose the .308. There are land owners who only allow calibers of .308" and larger on the larger antelope. Also, you could get away with using cup and core bullets on even large antelope, provided you use heavy for caliber bullets.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Glen. Myself are busy studying the pros and cons of the 6.5 mm (Creedmoor or x55, ballistic twins for all practical purposes). My thoughts would be that you would be better of with a .308

It would be frowned upon (and rightly so) by a lot of game farmers if you want to hunt the larger antelope with a 6.5

On the meat damage side a 6.5 certainly makes a mess compared to a 308 with same bullet construction and shot placement.

A 308 is shooting more than flat enough for your intended hunting distances, but it can also be loaded (or factory ammo bought) in heavier bullets than 6.5

I believe a 6.5 is a great hunting caliber, have no serious issues with it, but it is going to have a few limitations coming with it that the 308 will not have.

For a second or third rifle for certain jobs, go for it. For a general “one rifle” battery, get a 308

User

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post

I had a 6.5x55 which has the same (or very similar) ballistics to the 6.5CM. I never had any bad experiences with it but when hunting anything larger than impala or blesbok I would instinctively use my 30-06. It gave me more confidence. With modern bullets it will be even more reliable but so will the 308.

Banned

You CAN do anything with a .308, you can almost do anything with a 6.5

When ever there is a doubt, the .308 is usually the right answer.

:) thanks all

308 it is then:)

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I would rather take a 308. Been around forever and will be.

There is calibers that come up during the years. And then later they fade away and get replaced by another one that everyone will go for again.

Believe it or not. This will the same for the 6.5.

If you think a 308 has to much recoil. Then you are very recoil sensitive. lol.

I have an Ase SL5 on mine. And it s joy to shoot the 308.

My 270 kicks a bit so not worried about the recoil too much.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast