User

Default Expired white license

I am giving my landlord advice regarding lapsed licences and just want to confirm if it is good advice.

Three of his white licenses expired June. He received an SMS stating to go see his local firearm office.

I am sending him the section on late renewals and my advice to him is; go on as usual, you are not at fault, your license is valid till SAPS fix the system, you won't be able to buy ammo, legally no one can come take your firearms and the court gave an order that SAPS have to fix their system. To sum it up you are licensed until they fix the system.

I know this appears over-confidant but to the best of my knowledge my advice is based on the word of law.

Does anyone see where I took a wrong step?

User

Default Re: Expired white license

...and his green license ,with no white license attached, is no longer valid?

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    I am giving my landlord advice regarding lapsed licences and just want to confirm if it is good advice.

Three of his white licenses expired June. He received an SMS stating to go see his local firearm office.

I am sending him the section on late renewals and my advice to him is; go on as usual, you are not at fault, your license is valid till SAPS fix the system, you won't be able to buy ammo, legally no one can come take your firearms and the court gave an order that SAPS have to fix their system. To sum it up you are licensed until they fix the system.

I know this appears over-confidant but to the best of my knowledge my advice is based on the word of law.

Does anyone see where I took a wrong step?
    Does he still have green licenses for all three of the weapons?

Maybe keep the weapons in the safe and wait for another amnesty ?

As things stand now, he has a problem and is in possession of unlicensed firearms. The current official status is no late renewals and you have to hand in your weapons for destruction. No new amnesty pending.

The court case for 'fixing the system' is under appeal so the order is stayed. With a lot of luck the appeal might be rejected (or whatever the legal term is) and he might be able to apply in future. But right now he's running a risk.

User

Quote Originally Posted by nicofourie View Post
    Does he still have green licenses for all three of the weapons?
    I think things changed a while ago Nico. To the best of my knowledge the whole thing around acquisition of a white license suspending the green has kicked in and so has the expiry of green licences which never had a white one. In my opinion that is the only thing the amnesty was good for.

All in all a $#@%^ situation, not for the info, right or wrong, but for having to ask such things again. I come on the forum often, read a lot and still feel I am not up to speed or at the least not confident in getting others in trouble for being ignorant.
    How an old uncle on a farm is suppose to handle it I do not know. I guess just hand in. If the sky is blue hand in. If the car makes bleep when you exit with the keys in...hand in. If a chicken farts in Bloem Str.....hand in.

Quote Originally Posted by Controller View Post
    Maybe keep the weapons in the safe and wait for another amnesty ?
    Someone working in SAPS said the same. But only cause we trust each other so I will not give it as advice to my ???future ex-landlord???
    Quote Originally Posted by jager View Post
    As things stand now, he has a problem and is in possession of unlicensed firearms. The current official status is no late renewals and you have to hand in your weapons for destruction. No new amnesty pending.

The court case for 'fixing the system' is under appeal so the order is stayed. With a lot of luck the appeal might be rejected (or whatever the legal term is) and he might be able to apply in future. But right now he's running a risk.
    Monday I heard the same about amnesties- no new ones in sight.

About the law part though I would argue that they can not appeal a law...it is their law. They are appealing the part where they actually have to do it. The status of it still stands though. If they take away the bridge after saying you have to cross you have the right to stand on the bank and wait for them to return said bridge regardless of whether they give you a lifejacket. That is my one-sided view atm.

What I snag on is the possibility of him not having good reason not to renew thus not good reason to hold out and the emotional stress of an 80 yrs getting bullied because of following my advice would be a sore lesson in helping people.

Is there a line in the sand? Why so quiet???

User

Seems I already made a mistake, This thread still had replies in 2020. When was the case that said something about green not being valid?

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...-expired/page3

User

And then shortly followed by contradiction. How lost I am.

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...cense-question

User

My 2c keep in safe if the Act is changed he has a firearm and sure saps lost the forms not knowing where the fart smell comes from ...... if amnesty then re apply either way you have a chance to become legally armed again or have an illegal firearm like so many...if act is changed wich I believe won't happen but with the %#*$*" you never know

Hope you informed him to voice his opinions to all sites to stop the Act from changeing