Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Full metal framed pistols - last forever?

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    The CZ compact will not last near as long as an aluminum frame full size pistol.
    Are you saying that the bigger sized frame is better for durability? Or that the aluminum is superior to steel?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I have a family heirloom STAR Mod F (.22 LR). All steel. Know it is only a .22, but it must have 50 - 70 000 rounds through it. Still works flawlessly at least once a month and should do for many years to come. What I am meaning to say, if a STAR steel pistol can keep on functioning and don't wear completely out, may others should also be able to do that. Browning HP, CZ, Colt, S&W etc should all fit the idea.

User

I also have an heirloom .22... Colt Woodsman from 1926. I'm the 4th generation in our family to own it. It runs perfectly... Never had a hassle with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Brink View Post
    Are you saying that the bigger sized frame is better for durability? Or that the aluminum is superior to steel?
    Longer slide and spring, less slide velocity. Not as harsh on slide or frame. If designed right aluminum is very durable but yes steel should outlast aluminum. I say should in that in some guns by the time the aluminum frame is tired the rest of the parts are finished anyway. From what I have seen I have zero concerns about the durability of a Beretta 92 aluminum frame.

I would imagine any quality modern pistol will outlast you and your grandchildren if you maintain it, store it properly and don't shoot it much.

Sounds like you are looking for a heirloom piece in metal. I would go for a CZ Shadow 2, or a high end 1911, All steel, it's something special and not your run of the mill gun.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jager View Post
    I would imagine any quality modern pistol will outlast you and your grandchildren if you maintain it, store it properly and don't shoot it much.
    If you do that it should last pretty much indefinitely. My 1985 vintage CZ75 has well over 40k rounds of mainly middling velocity reloads through it and works flawlessly. I have no reason to doubt that it could make 100k without coming apart at the seams. A quality handgun, well maintained and not fed a diet too rich in spicy loads should comfortably out last a couple of generations.

User

It amuses me that people bitch & moan (with good reason) about plastic not being biodegradable and clogging up landfills and waterways and oceans...

... whilst at the same time there's the continued belief to belief that somehow a "plastic-framed" pistol will disintegrate after a generation.

Not all plastics are created equal. The stuff used for pistol frames are generally glass-filled Nylon, which is particularly hardy, checmically and UV resistant etc etc.

People forget how long plastic-framed pistols have been around for. Ask those guys with VP70s if their frames are falling apart.

Purely from a longevity viewpoint, assuming the gun will be regularly shot, I'd take a plastic-framed pistol over an aluminium-framed pistol any time.

From pure aesthetics viewpoint of course, nothing beats a well-made, full-size 1911.

User

Well, my plastic fantastic pistol has now been on my belt for 3 full decades now, without any signs of the plastic frame degrading.

By comparison, my previous EDC with sturdy all-steel frame did suffer a few rust marks under the grip panels and grip screws in it's first year of use.

If you want your pistol to last forever, just oil it properly and leave it in the safe...

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

If guns were “soft” I wouldn’t have a 136yr old, fully functioning, revolver in my safe. I bet the plastic frames will be just a durable in the long run as the metal ones when it comes to normal use as intended in the design.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

There is no such thing as a gun that's going to last forever, it's a pointless exercise.

The moving parts wear out, wether it's a plastic gun or a steel gun. You have to replace springs, pins, etc., as they become fatigued or wear out of spec.

It's also useless having a gun that lasts forever, because you are not going to last that long.

Choosing a gun by build quality alone is the wrong way to go about it. Some of the best build quality guns had the shortest commercial lifespan, and the least reliability.

You can take any gun, cover it in grease, put it away, and after 200 years it'll still be in good condition.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast