User

Default Browning High Power Capitan value

Hi
    Can anyone shed some light on a ballpark value for a 1973 model BHP with shoulder stock.

Not a safe queen, was carried almost daily by my father-in-law.

TIA

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Browning High Power Capitan value

Wow that’s an interesting setup. Sorry no clue on the value.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Nice and worn :)
    Grip not original not that something like that would be a problem to me if I wanted to buy it. Could be Pachmayr.
    I paid a friend R4500 for an excellent condition normal run of the mill HP in this year. I would have paid someone else less. Hope that helps a bit with figuring out a price.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MSW2 View Post
    Nice and worn :)
    Grip not original not that something like that would be a problem to me if I wanted to buy it. Could be Pachmayr.
    I paid a friend R4500 for an excellent condition normal run of the mill HP in this year. I would have paid someone else less. Hope that helps a bit with figuring out a price.
    Original wood grip plates are there as well.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

User

Slide lock/release not original and safety doesn't look original either. I'm pretty sure 1973 didn't have ambidextrous safeties and they were a different shape to that. Grips non original but that's already been dealt with.

A "serious" collector probably wouldn't be terribly interested but someone that enjoys guns with a bit of character would like it because it is an unusual piece. I did some research on Capitan prices about a year ago and couldn't find much in the way of records of them changing hands in SA. Went through the Classic Arms Auctions for at least 10 years (yes, I have all the auction records saved on my laptop, with pictures, descriptions, asking prices, selling prices) and I don't think I found any. Somewhere I saw one in mint condition that was advertised at R14k.

Judging by the fact that you say it's a 1973 model I assume the serial number starts with 73 followed by the letter "C"?

What follows is from memory so please don't regard it as gospel, it would need to be verified. Not all Kapitans were sold with a stock. One needs to pay attention to the stocks because there are apparently a number of "copies/aftermarkets" around that were commercially manufactured in quite large quantities (in Canada maybe?). There are slight differences in shape in that area where it slims down just behind where it fits onto the pistol. Google something like "Aftermarket Browning Capitan Stocks" and you'll find what to look for. Any buyer of this gun probably wouldn't be bothered by that so I don't think it is really an issue one way or the other. Some of the stocks had a leather holster that was fixed to them via those 3 holes you see but I think that was the military ones, not the civilian ones and may have been in the early years of production, not as late as 1973.

Very difficult to guess a value but I'd put it somewhere between R6k and R8k. Unfortunately nothing to compare it to because it's a small market and one guy might see far more or far less value in it than the next guy.