Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: .22LR Whisperer

User

Default .22LR Whisperer

My Dad is a hardcore prepper- he got a off-grid house in the city- he only needs to let his sewerage leave his yard. Own electricity, two boreholes and a 75 Kilo-litre reseviore- used to be our childhood pool! Add to that a farm in the Western Cape Mountains ready for long term bugg-out.
    So he got himself a Remington .22LR Semi-auto recently and added a Parker hale silencer to it. The bolt movement is the only sound with sub-sonic Swartklip Vintage.
    I have a whole collection of possible Zombie killing firearms, but I am now really jealous of his .22LR.
    What modern .22LR Carbine will scratch my need- as the son of a serious prepper and urban meltdown believer?

User

Default Re: .22LR Whisperer

Must it be semi auto? The Ruger 10/22 probably a good option to look at...

But a bolt action would be even quieter...

User

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 is a fantastic AR style platform. I've heard the Ruger 10-22 can be very fussy with mags and feeding

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 is a fantastic AR style platform. I've heard the Ruger 10-22 can be very fussy with mags and feeding
    With a clean chamber and the factory 10-round mags, they tend to feed subsonics pretty well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Must it be semi auto? The Ruger 10/22 probably a good option to look at...

But a bolt action would be even quieter...
    I grew up with a Brno .22Lr bolt action with silencer. The semi auto just have a cool function.

I would recommend getting a BRNO 22lr. No point in having a prep gun that is not a nail driver. Save on ammo and make every shot count. Would also be a lot quieter than any semi auto. If however you are hell bent on getting a semi auto maybe look at the ruger 10/22 take downs. Small compact threaded a lot more common than a 15 22 so spare parts like mags should be easier to get than the 15 22s (have a look on the forum and you will find a lot more posts of people trying to hunt down mags).

User

Mine is a SIG522. Not fussy about ammo, but does 'wax up' after using too many wax coated rounds.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Mine is a SIG522. Not fussy about ammo, but does 'wax up' after using too many wax coated rounds.
    Cool gun!

Banned

BRNO 22 is just so proper.

Spanner in the whole idea.

I recently got a my 5/6 Remington 22 pump action - as per site I have given away at least 4/5 of these and decided to keep this one. I really thought it was a piece a shit hence the throw away status or give away re occurrence factor ?
    I kept this one because Cody was so taken by the cool "movie" action, guess what?, It is dead silent and I will shoot anything bigger than a hamster every time if its inside 50 m - they cost 400 on auction 200 as a gesture payment, or mostly get given away.
    I am so surprised, perhaps a later thread ? Why do the Wichesters and Reminton pump actions have no value?

User

The only real AR option is a 15-22. I have seen enough 10/22’s at mini rifle matches to know I never want one of those, ever! Especially if my life had to depend on it.

Currently the problem with the Smith & Wesson is our local agents. Since it moved away from MRST, the once fantastic support has turned into something akin to service we see from South African SOE’s. We have been waiting for magazines for more than 2 years. (Granted the shortage also came during the period Biden was elected to office.) E-mails and correspondence with Smith & Wesson have gone unanswered. It is simply a case of the manufacturer, agents and dealers being willing to take your money for a product, and then not have the ability or desire to support you down the line. In honesty, most of the guns they sell shouldn’t see significant use anyway. After about 10 000 rounds through 3 magazines, the feed lips on the magazines start to wear and the rifle doesn’t function as well as it should. This is the reason I can’t buy any other Smith & Wesson product again. Even though the M&P2.0 and Shield Plus look fantastic. They can’t support their products. From now on, if a dealer can’t sell me a spares kit along with the gun, I’m not really interested. We have enough problems getting access and use from firearms. The manufacturers, agents and dealers don’t have to be a part of those problems.

A regular AR15 that can fulfill this purpose is a much better call. This would also be a better setup for epoch ending times anyway.

I’d start with a CZ or Tikka bolt gun though. Everyone needs one of those and it will be much quieter that a semi auto rifle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast