Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: .22LR Whisperer

User

Default Re: .22LR Whisperer

I grew up with a Winchester pump action and loved it, we had so much fun with that rifle. Many dassies succumbed to it.

I now have a S&W 15-22 and love it. We shoot out to 200m accurately with the rifle. Screw the flash hider off and it takes a silencer and has been reliable so far.

User

And here I go again: if you want to go semi auto and you do have a Glock 9mmP, why not a PCC? Nearly cheaper to reload 9mm than the cost of .22 ammo, if you reload it would be very easy to go sub sonic and they aren't tac drivers but are "acceptable" accurate out to 100m or more?

User

Tactical HQ has a Ruger charger. You can buy a collapsible stock for it.
    The Ruger 10/22 backpacker is also very cool. Cityguns sell the stock so I guess the Takedown goes in it.

If you want a dual the Walther Model 1 or 2 has bolt and semi. They go for about R1500 but you might struggle with more mags.

Accurate semis are around but it is luck of the draw and the best ones are about equal to a CZ.

If I had to buy 1 rifle for the end of the world it would have minimal moving parts.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Controller View Post
    If however you are hell bent on getting a semi auto maybe look at the ruger 10/22 take downs. Small compact threaded a lot more common than a 15 22 so spare parts like mags should be easier to get than the 15 22s (have a look on the forum and you will find a lot more posts of people trying to hunt down mags).
    Not going to disagree with you on mags, parts etc but be aware that if you fit it with a scope, it doesn't hold zero when you take it down and reassemble. A buddy of mine has one and eventually took the scope off. The scope is mounted on the action and obviouslt barrel alignment isn't identical each time. I've had experience with other .22's where barrel comes out of the action and had exactly the same issue. I now just keep them fully assembled all the time. If I want to have a takedown I'll use open sights which are mounted on the barrel hence not affected by the alignment issue.

I guess one could also mount a scope forward on the barrel "scout style" but I haven't had that much enthusiasm yet.

As suggested elsewhere I would go with the Brno bolt action first choice but if you're insistent on a semi I would suggest the Ruger charger on 10/22 with a shortened barrel and a collapsible/folding stock.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post

If you want a dual the Walther Model 1 or 2 has bolt and semi. They go for about R1500 but you might struggle with more mags.
    Savage/Stevens also made a dual semi/single shot (not quite a bolt action, kind of a straight pull with a locking pin). There are a few of them around, some with box mags and some with tubular mags. Savage models 6 & 7, Stevens models 85 & 87, also sold as Springfield & a few other names. Parts are obviously difficult to find.

User

I own both a Ruger 10/22 and an Anschutz bolt action, both have shortened barrels and suppressors.

The Ruger is fitted with an ATI AR-style stock. The quick-adjustable LOP makes it handy for the younger kids, so that is what they started on. It is pretty reliable with the right ammo, and decently accurate. The only real issue is reliability with the higher capacity mags. I have limited the OEM 25-round mags to 20 rounds, as most stoppages seem to happen in the first 5 rounds. Atill decent capacity for sport and field use.

The Anschutz bolt action obviously has a fixed wooden stock, so it only became viable for the kids to use, once they grew in to it. Interestingly, for field use, that is their first choice rimfire. It feeds any ammo reliably, even the lubed lead subsonic HP's and the cheap bulk-pack stuff. Accuracy is also better than on the semi-auto with all ammo types.

My ideal bug-out 22 rimfire rifle would be something like a Ruger Charger pistol with low magnification scope (or RDS), fitted with a removable stock and suppressor. Alternatively, a toggle action (biathlon type) rifle, lightened and shortened for easy transport and off course suppressed.

If you choose a 10/22 variant with the take-down option and a scope mounted on the action, keep in mind that it will change POI every time the barrel is removed and replaced. With open sight, that's not an issue, as the sights sit on the barrel. A barrel-mounted RDS might also be a viable option.

Walther model 1 and 2 magazines are available down in kzn from k mags. Look at the bottom of the page of the link.
    https://www.k-mag.co.za/rifles/

User

Very late to this discussion but what the hell.

As an end of days kind of 22. rifle that will run suppressed I have my Model 2 Brno. The action is polished, the trigger is great, it drives tacks within 60m with three cheap loads that I have a few bricks of each and shoots flattish out to 100m with CCI Stingers if something needs a little more thump. It's utterly reliable and has only ever hiccupped when I've shot many hundreds of rounds without lubing the firing pin and then it light strikes occasionally. With the ancient no name brand suppressor I have on it report is low with supersonic and negligible with CCI Quiets. Best of all is that its small and light and fits easily behind the back seat of my bakkie. I can't think of any reason other than lekker kry why I would replace it in that role with a semi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2