Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's Wrong With This Suppressor Design?

So bought this many moons ago for my .308 for around R3000 and the bottom line is the thing just doesn't work. I mean it literally makes almost zero difference in the noise level.

Anyone have any insights into why it doesn't work. It's a reflex suppressor.

Bottom half

Bottom half

Top half

User

Default Re: What's Wrong With This Suppressor Design?

Because it's not a suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Because it's not a suppressor.
    Ok, care to elaborate a little more on why?

What did I buy then?

User

You bought a more or less free flowing tube with nothing slowing down the expanding gases which would suppress the noise level. I'm sorry, but it seems you've been had.

User

The pics don't really tell us what exactly is going on in there. One would need much more detailed info to determine what is in there and whether it can actually work.

Anyone with access to a lathe and some bar stock and/or tubing can make a suppressor. Very few actually know how to do it properly.

I have examined a few of the commercially available suppressors. Some are quite brilliantly designed and made, and some are very mediocre.

Yeah thanks guys, I knew I had been had as it doesn't work :)

Was just curious if it in any way could have been considered a design that could work if adjustments were made, but yeah as has been said, it seems to lack the the features of a true suppressor.

I was so disappointed at the time (shot it on the same day I bought it on a friends farm) that I just put it on the shelf and left it. Looking back I really should have tried to get my money back or demanded one that worked....

A-R, not much to see apart from what you can see in those pictures really, will see if I can get better pictures using a torch to light up the insides, or maybe will just cut it open to take a look. Just kept it as a reminder of doing your homework before buying something in the future.

Banned

Can you not get an insert made that has a proper size hole in it i.e. one that is calibre size + 1.5mm in diameter.

User

See if you can open it. Maybe the baffles is inserted the wrong way or removed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Yeah thanks guys, I knew I had been had as it doesn't work :)

Was just curious if it in any way could have been considered a design that could work if adjustments were made, but yeah as has been said, it seems to lack the the features of a true suppressor.

I was so disappointed at the time (shot it on the same day I bought it on a friends farm) that I just put it on the shelf and left it. Looking back I really should have tried to get my money back or demanded one that worked....

A-R, not much to see apart from what you can see in those pictures really, will see if I can get better pictures using a torch to light up the insides, or maybe will just cut it open to take a look. Just kept it as a reminder of doing your homework before buying something in the future.
    Don't cut it.
    As driepootx said, get someone with a lathe to remove the inside and turn you new baffles, you then have a serviceable suppressor.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The pics don't really tell us what exactly is going on in there. One would need much more detailed info to determine what is in there and whether it can actually work.

Anyone with access to a lathe and some bar stock and/or tubing can make a suppressor. Very few actually know how to do it properly.

I have examined a few of the commercially available suppressors. Some are quite brilliantly designed and made, and some are very mediocre.
    Very true.

Once you understand what a suppressor does to moderate the sound, it is not that difficult to get reasonable results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast