Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Home made rifle safe

Quote Originally Posted by wjwentzel View Post
    Off topic, how do you find the mauser? I love mine - still stock standard and shoot nice groupings.

Sorry for the hijack.

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk
    I walked into the the local gun shop and it was one of four estate guns someone brought in. The others being a 1906 commercial Luger, a Walther model 2 rifle and a Rooikat revolver.

I was mostly interested in the Luger and somehow brought all four after I had to make an offer.

To be honest, the gunshop had some trouble booking the Mauser into dealer stock since the caliber was 7.65mm revolver. In the end I gave the gun to my brother and it has been in dealer stock to this day

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

User

I had a look at theEnginesmith video, basically I see quite a few bits in the video that will prevent the safe from ever being up to SABS standards.

I have also checked the New Zealand laws where he is from and the laws are quite relaxed. IE a rifle can be padlocked to a plank on the wall or stored in a padlocked cupboard.

Another idea would be to construct a inner shell with a reinforced cage. Construct an outer shell and pour refactory cement in between the inner and outer shell creating a fire resistant safe.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

User

The easier way is to find a 24"+ schedule 10 ERW+ pipe. (ERW have weldseam that on its length)
    I have build a couple of safes this way and they work.
    The negative, they are round and wont fit as normally would- in a corner. The are bolted to tje floor and wall where the circumstance meer the wall.
    The positive is they are strong, easy to make and can fit a huge amount of rifles in a small space.
    I search and find piping from scrap metal shops.
    36" sch 20 pipe is 940mm OD x 12.7mm WT.
    The door is cut from the pipe, welding is only a small portion as compared to a rectangular safe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DLRX View Post
    The easier way is to find a 24"+ schedule 10 ERW+ pipe. (ERW have weldseam that on its length)
    I have build a couple of safes this way and they work.
    The negative, they are round and wont fit as normally would- in a corner. The are bolted to tje floor and wall where the circumstance meer the wall.
    The positive is they are strong, easy to make and can fit a huge amount of rifles in a small space.
    I search and find piping from scrap metal shops.
    36" sch 20 pipe is 940mm OD x 12.7mm WT.
    The door is cut from the pipe, welding is only a small portion as compared to a rectangular safe.
    That's an interesting idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2