Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default castbulets in 45 glock?

i like the feel of the new glock 30sf and i like the 45 in highcap if the pistol feels right in my hands. I love the 40 so how do the 2 compere? I know jou cant shoot cast in a glock 40 but wat about the glock 45?

User

Default Re: castbulets in 45 glock?

it seems to me that the 45s ammo is more freely available than the 40 and that it is better priced.

Guess who's back, back again and it is not Slim Shady.....it is the Penquin!!!!!

I would not say that you could not shoot cast bullets in a 40 Glock. The cast bullets should just be as hard as possible and I would not recommend that you go for high end loads at all. The 40 Glocks are however just more prone to problems than the 9's and the 45's. I would shoot cast is a 45 Glock but also as hard as possible. I would however say that the 45 in any make or design would be more foregiving than a 9 or a 40 due to the lower level of pressure at which it operates.

My personal experience is however that 45 components is less available than the 40 due to the 40 dominating the IPSC (standard gun division). When the 40 started to come in play, the blokes that shot 40's was like hawk's on brass but these days it would seem to me that the blokes shooting 45's is more the hawk's that the 40 shooters.

User

corne are you from SA? And then my second thought. The g30 has a supported chamber and the g36 doesn't? Where i go and in The ads that i see 45 ammo seems to be more freely available and cheaper although not as cheap or available than the 9mm but still

How many times have I mentioned it that I am from Port Elizabeth? That info is openly available on my Profile.

I can't comment regarding the G36 vs the G30 and supported / unsupported chambers as I am under the impression that all Glocks has unsupported chambers but I can be wrong. The fact however remains that the 45ACP operates at about 15000 to 20000 CUP and the 40S&W at 30000 to 35000 CUP. This makes the 45ACP a more 'foregiving' cartridge than the 40S&W regardless of chamber design.

Up to about a year ago I had a sideline business. I did not deal in firearms or ammunition, but some of my suppliers was and still is, firearm dealers and I had many guided tours of the safes and thus the contents of the safes. My experience was that in general ammo for 40S&W was more available than 45ACP (My experience and thus not fully representative of what the full reality might be).

As a matter of fact on my return trip yesterday to PE, I made a stop in Bloemfontein at Kloppers. Now if you want to purchase firearms of ammunition at Kloppers you have to go to the safe and you actually stand in the entrance of the safe. From that point you can see pretty much all the handgun ammunition that they have and I did have a look at what 9mm ammo they might have and I did not see any 45ACP but I did see 40S&W. No I did not asked in detail and for all I know they might have had stock, but I could not see any but I did see the 40S&W ammo and you could pretty much see everything.

As I say with the introduction of 40S&W and the growing of the popularity of this cartridge, the 45ACP seems to have seen a decline in popularity and availability. I am not saying that it is not available, but I seem to experience the opposite from you regarding availability. As I do not purchase ammo/components for these two, I am not in touch regarding price.

User

in PTA it seems the 45 guys has more choice in ammo but that might be only for a time because i only started to check now. Just toying with the idea thusfar. Though i like 40 but it a rather gun hungry caliber

Quote Originally Posted by pietskiet
    in PTA it seems the 45 guys has more choice in ammo but that might be only for a time because i only started to check now. Just toying with the idea thusfar.
    As I say that is my experience if looking at 45 vs 40 and in PTA it might be different. If I look at IPSC you just see very few 45's competing as the 40 just makes more sense regarding capacity.

I just do not understand this part of your post:

Though i like 40 but it a rather gun hungry caliber

User

High pressure and high slide velocity is heavy on the pistol in terms of heavy use,that's what i meant.

Spell checking it really isn't that hard

Spell checking it really isn't that hard
    And then he saw the light at the end of the tunnel....

High pressure and high slide velocity is heavy on the pistol in terms of heavy use,that's what i meant.
    I am not sure about slide velocities but I would say that pressure plays an important role in the lifespan and durability of a firearm. Although the 9x19 and the 40S&W operates at about the same pressure, the 40S&W reaches its peak pressure faster which stresses the gun more. I would say that slide movement can be managed with correct recoil spring use and thus controlling this issue of the slide being hammered during the cycling process.

User

yes. But like i said i like the 40, for now i am happy, but wayb i wil replace it in a few years whith a 45

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast