Default 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum

Hi all.

I know it's not the everyday caliber but I'm looking at filling the last slot in my safe with a 6.5-300Wby Mag. I've tried the larger firearms dealers like Safari & Outdoor but to no luck (apparently they are the only registered importers of Weatherby rifles in SA and according to a salesman there they won't be importing anymore Weatherby rifles into SA anytime soon), I've gone as far as getting a quote for a custom built but the price was actually higher than an original Weatherby Mark V rifle chambered in similar calibers. Would anyone know of any smaller dealers that may be in a position to assist in importing one or that has stock of the said caliber.
    Thanks!

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk

Default Re: 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by Zim Hunter View Post
    Hi all.

I know it's not the everyday caliber but I'm looking at filling the last slot in my safe with a 6.5-300Wby Mag. I've tried the larger firearms dealers like Safari & Outdoor but to no luck (apparently they are the only registered importers of Weatherby rifles in SA and according to a salesman there they won't be importing anymore Weatherby rifles into SA anytime soon), I've gone as far as getting a quote for a custom built but the price was actually higher than an original Weatherby Mark V rifle chambered in similar calibers. Would anyone know of any smaller dealers that may be in a position to assist in importing one or that has stock of the said caliber.
    Thanks!

What was the reason S&O stopped importing Weatherby rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    What was the reason S&O stopped importing Weatherby rifles?
    I was advised they are no longer big sellers in the market. I doubt they've stopped importing per se, more like they import a very limited amount and in more widely used calibers.

Safari can special order and import exactly what you want, you just have to pay up front.

Skip the sales guy, and speak to one of the managers.

Our agent in Canada is also Weatherby's Canadian agent. During 2017, I spent a few days in the Weatherby booth at the Big Rock trade show in Toronto. There were several customers complaining about accuracy issues with Weatherby rifles chambered in the 6.5-300 Weatherby. I like Weatherby rifles, and maybe this problem has been sorted out, but it might be worth investigating before buying one chambered for this cartridge.

User

I can only imagine the barrel life of that rifle. Mind you, why not build a 6,5 - 378 Weatherby?

User

The 6.5-300 feels like too much of a good thing. The 6.5 RPM however…

User

I had to look that up. It's like an adult version of a 204 Ruger

I guess if you want the added velocity the 6.5-.300 or the .26 Nosler are the 'best'. Here in Canada I am surprised how many of those I see for sale, used (gven that they likley dont sell huge amounts to start with).

Persoanlly, if I wanted a quick stepping, powerful 6.5mm I would look at the 6.5 PRC. The 6.5RPM might be nice but I think the PRC has overshadowed it and in terms or availability there are way more rifles in PRC.

User

The 6.5 x 68 S is another great option