User

Default Another Aardvark.

I have posted quite a few photos of aardvark here but I remain fascinated by these strange animals, so here is another one. This one was busy digging out termites less than 200 meters from my house, late yesterday afternoon. I walked to within 20 meters of him, he just ignored me and kept digging and eating. The fact that last night was the coldest night this year (temperatures went down to -11°C) might have something to do with it being active during daylight hours.

Default Re: Another Aardvark.

They are fascinating. Are they rare in your part of the world ? I have seen only
    one in the Alexandria area and one in Grahamstown.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    They are fascinating. Are they rare in your part of the world ? I have seen only
    one in the Alexandria area and one in Grahamstown.
    No, they are not rare. We see them quite often, though rarely by day.

User

In their own way, I find them very graceful creatures.
    Fascinating to watch.

I have been graced with the opportunity in my youth to stand with within 3 metres of one and watch it break open and devour an anthills contents.
    It was fully aware of the presence of 2 humans squatting on the ground watching it but obviously sensed it was safe.
    A special moment indeed.

My dad and I came across it whilst travelling home one night, it was crossing the dirt road, wandered around whilst we watched standing near it with torches and it found its snack to stop at nearby.
    After about 20 minutes and it had finished eating its full it slowly wandered off into the brush again.

If I remember correctly it had a slight musky odour we could smell.