View Poll Results: In a SHTF situation will you use 9mm CMJ reloads for self-defense?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 96.83%
  • No

2 3.17%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: In a SHTF situation will you use 9mm CMJ reloads for self-defense?

Shoud it happen that my Rangers that I carry on me and have in extra mags in a few places the shit would be more serious than what I would like to sort out with a pistol. By the time they are finished I hope to have a rifle or shotgun in my hands. A pistol is just there to give you time to get to a rifle. But now I am way of topic. Sorry. So, yes, if that is all I have left, no problem with using it. Will I plan on using cmj reloads for SD? No.

User

I will first use my factory HP ammo. Then my reloaded Speer Gold Dot and Hornady XTP reloaded ammo. Then my 115grain CMJ's. If that's finished, then I will absolutely use my own cast 128grain lead bullets.
    Yes I am a sport shooter. I have also tested my cast lead bullets and it's got sufficient power to fully penetrate the scull of a warthog and exit the other side.

User

when your world goes medieval anarchy you won't worry about what type of ammo you have you will only worry if it fits your gun.

make sure your have some. just don't put it all in one place, you might not be able to get to it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Yeah that would be quite the blow. Rather spend extra money on factory CMJs than reloads from the company that I think we all know the OP is talking about.

Would that be the one with a name similar to David Garden Sheers or the factory in Midrand with name similar to Nobelmen

Quote Originally Posted by ludicer View Post
    In a SHTF situation will you use 9mm CMJ reloads for self-defense?
    Why not? Government LE and the Military uses 9mm ball

I trust my own reloads much more than a machine pushing volume but then again I am a boring single stage person

User

Lotta people got dead before premium hollow points or even jacketed bullets were a thing. While I would not depend on my cast, powdercoated, TC bullet based handloads until my stock of Rangers were depleted, I'd definitely pick them before any of the commercial reloads that I've come across. The failure rate of that load is below 1/1000 and in the last >15 000 has been exclusively related to dud primers. Being an utterly anal retentive record keeper has the very occasional positive side effect ;-). They feed, go bang, fly straight, make holes and the cases eject. They are undoubtedly not good at expanding and stopping in a target but in a SHTF scenario those are compromises that would be no-brainer acceptable IMHO.

User

If i had to run out of ammo for what ever reason in a SHTF situation, I would use what ever i could find that fits my firearms... and carry on

User

During the recent "troubles" I was forced to travel at short notice and was not sure of any potential hazards to expect on my route. Thankfully all turned out quiet. I took 5 mags along (9mmp). Two with my carry 125 Rem HP and three with 147CMJ FP. All handloads, all had been tested and proven functional in my FA. All make factor. I suppose I could have reloaded more HP's to take along, but I consider the 147gr CMJ a pretty good manstopper at short ranges and that was what I had on hand. My primary concern was reliability with decent knock-down power. I have over time compared all my reloads (lead, CMJ, quality HP as well as exotics) with PMP ball as well as SAPS ball. Chronographed and fired through wetpack. While not scientific, the results were broadly as expected and a hit from any would seriously disrupt someones day.

User

My Emergency / range / SHTF / Teotwawki / general purpose / "don't pickup cases" ammo are hand loaded with 115grain Frontier CMJ's, in Berdan cases and is filled with 4.8grains S121.
    I tried to reach the velocity of standard military ball ammo which can be fired in all 9mmP guns, regardless of make / shape or size.
    Velocity in about 1200 ft/sec out my CZ75. These work and cycle in all my handguns (except my P08)

User

Quote Originally Posted by pcc View Post
    During the recent "troubles" I was forced to travel at short notice and was not sure of any potential hazards to expect on my route. Thankfully all turned out quiet. I took 5 mags along (9mmp). Two with my carry 125 Rem HP and three with 147CMJ FP. All handloads, all had been tested and proven functional in my FA. All make factor. I suppose I could have reloaded more HP's to take along, but I consider the 147gr CMJ a pretty good manstopper at short ranges and that was what I had on hand. My primary concern was reliability with decent knock-down power. I have over time compared all my reloads (lead, CMJ, quality HP as well as exotics) with PMP ball as well as SAPS ball. Chronographed and fired through wetpack. While not scientific, the results were broadly as expected and a hit from any would seriously disrupt someones day.
    Do you still have the data of your tests?

Would you mind to share with us?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast