View Poll Results: In a SHTF situation will you use 9mm CMJ reloads for self-defense?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 96.83%
  • No

2 3.17%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: In a SHTF situation will you use 9mm CMJ reloads for self-defense?

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    My Emergency / range / SHTF / Teotwawki / general purpose / "don't pickup cases" ammo are ....... These work and cycle in all my handguns (except my P08)
    I can imagine you running around with your P-08 loaded full of original 124gn truncated cone FMJ's.

My order of ammo preference for any emergency use:
    1. Winchester 124 or 127gn factory JHP's.
    2. Any other factory JHP's
    3. My own reloaded JHP's (XTP or Gold Dot).
    4. My own practise and match reloads (124 gn powder coated truncated cone cast lead).
    5. Factory FMJ's.
    6. Commercial CMJ reloads.
    7. A Brick.

I am still working on the cast HP load...

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I am still working on the cast HP load...
    Please will you share your thinking and progress?

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Please will you share your thinking and progress?
    Probably more suited to the casting thread. I have a 9mm 125gn Lyman "Devistator" HP single cavity mould. In it's standard form it's useless. Ogive too short, so it has to be seated really deep in the case. It has a boat tail, so the bearing surface is also too short. If cast soft enough to expand, I can't get it to grip rifling, so it strips and tumbles. No good there. So next I drilled the lube groove and boat tail out of the mould. It now throws a 140gn HP at around 20BHN (hardness). Have not tried it, but it's use would be limited to long-throated guns due to the ogive. The better plan would likely be to order a multi-cavity HP mould from MP Moulds (https://www.mp-molds.com). This one for example: https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...o-lube-groove/

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Probably more suited to the casting thread. I have a 9mm 125gn Lyman "Devistator" HP single cavity mould. In it's standard form it's useless. Ogive too short, so it has to be seated really deep in the case. It has a boat tail, so the bearing surface is also too short. If cast soft enough to expand, I can't get it to grip rifling, so it strips and tumbles. No good there. So next I drilled the lube groove and boat tail out of the mould. It now throws a 140gn HP at around 20BHN (hardness). Have not tried it, but it's use would be limited to long-throated guns due to the ogive. The better plan would likely be to order a multi-cavity HP mould from MP Moulds (https://www.mp-molds.com). This one for example: https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...o-lube-groove/
    Thanks. Was hoping you were cooking up something local.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ludicer View Post
    In a SHTF situation will you use 9mm CMJ reloads for self-defense?
    I would use what is available, be it what ever it may be - so would you and anyone else who is in that situation.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I would use what is available, be it what ever it may be - so would you and anyone else who is in that situation.
    Indeed. Then it's sticks and stones until all is left is farting in the general direction of your opponent.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    ...until all is left is farting in the general direction of your opponent.
    Mmmm... With some people that may be the deadliest weapon to start with! ��

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Indeed. Then it's sticks and stones until all is left is farting in the general direction of your opponent.
    Will bring my hunting dog.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Will bring my hunting dog.
    Hopefully you don't have an AD on the way with her always having one up at present...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4