Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: .223 Semi Auto

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
    Did some research, and it is not uncommon for bolts to go well into the 20 thousands, even on SBR's. My personal experience does not make me an expert on all things firearms. Always good to learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The research put out by CRANE, Naval Surface Warfare Centre years ago showed accelerated wear and broken bolts. Unfortunately the slide show has long since been deleted. I broke a bolt at around 7,5 thousand rounds on a 14.5. The https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/High-round-count-AR-M4-s-over-100-000-rounds-and-how-they-have-handled-on-our-range/118-677135/ is probably the latest we have.

User

Default Re: .223 Semi Auto

Thanks to all, I got a good deal on a Bushmaster XM*15 with optics, now during the long wait for licensing I will collect all required to do my own reloading.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Did some research, and it is not uncommon for bolts to go well into the 20 thousands, even on SBR's. My personal experience does not make me an expert on all things firearms. Always good to learn!
    Deon (Hailstorm) was on the range when it Kaboomed! inside one of the Zozo's at the Eeufees range. There was a mightly bang, lots of smoke, etc, etc. Was in the days of the cheap and plentiful Norinco ammo... I miss those days!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

25 000 rounds on original buffer spring and bolt? Can't imagine that to be an entry level AR? We had guys sheer lugs on suppressed DD MK18's at 3-4 grand.

Well the answer lies in the detail you have provided. Suppressed, and the shorter the barrel on the suppressed gun the worse. In that shorter guns have shorter dwell time, and hence higher bolt speeds, which in turn adds major stresses to the bolt lugs, and cam pin and is a known failure point under those conditions.

I saw someone mentioned the Crane Report somewhere in this thread. Somewhere in those pages it also mentions the extra wear created by the issued suppressors (at that time it was the Knights, I believe, which is actually a decent suppressor even by modern standards).

User

On a gun that is properly gassed it's not unheard of bolts lasting well past 15k rounds.

From my personal experience I shot out the barrel on my M&P Sport (well not shot out, but the was a noticeable loss of accuracy from new to just under 14k rounds of moslty 55gr ammo running at 2900fps. I could shoot about 1 moa, maybe a bit less at 100m if I did my part, at 5k it was holding a steady 2.5 - 3moa on the same ammo)

I changed the S&W Bolt out at 8k rounds for a DD, once cleaned up the thing looked great, I then ran it for a further 2k rounds in the DD Carrier in my 300blk before I bought a new complete BCG for that gun.

I believe when it comes to bolts most of the stuff we get here in the imported name branded guns, are decent MPI Tested bolts, I could be wrong though.

User

Thanks for all the advice and great and interesting stories, but I eventually bought the Bushmaster MX 15 -E2S now waiting (patiently��) for the license approval

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3