Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Scratches On My Brand New Gun.....

So I am curious as to what others think might be causing these scratches on my brand new Glock 17 Gen 5.

No it hasn't been dropped or harshly treated, the opposite, and when I have been to the range 3 times or so I am right handed so put it down on the opposite side that has the scratches on it.

By the way the left side is as clean as a babies bottom, not a single mark or scratch, like brand new.

I figure it can only be the holster and scratches have appeared in the time I haven't been to the range as well.

I have felt with my fingers inside the holster but don't feel anything sharp or that could scratch the gun.

But surely the coating that is applied should be tough enough to be able to resist scratches like that. I mean it seem to go right down to the metal. Really strange.

Could it be a bad coating job? But then why only on the one side?

Ignore the white curly thing on the far left of the photo that is a cat hair that managed to sneak into the picture.... the rest are scratches.

I don't have an issue with wear, but this is not it, at this rate my brand new gun will be so scratched up it will look like it is 20 years old......

User

Default Re: Scratches On My Brand New Gun.....

Kydex holster I assume?

If yes some tend to scratch it, but don’t fret. At some point in time it will just look worn in.

Use it often and oil it regularly .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

That's just use. As Grobbie suggests, that's what hard plastic holsters do. I wouldn't worry.

The best way to avoid things like that: never shoot/use/look at the gun. Keep it in a box, locked away.

Its a GLOCK. Not an Heirloom Precision or Cabot 1911.

As to the cause, you got sand or grit in your holster the last time you went to the range.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Gives it character. Kydex holsters are harsh on finish when grit gets in.

But the other side has ZERO scratches, it looks like it just came out the factory. Clean.

Yes it is a Daniel's holster.

It's not ordinary wear, it's actual scratches which have been increasing.

Well hope you guys are right, will see if they continue to appear.

I don't have an issue with wear but seeing your brand new gun get so scratched up over such a short period just doesn't feel great if you know what I mean.

User

Dont worry about cosmetic appearance of your gun... worry about rounds on target in a SD situation.

The scratches aren't perfectly parallel so, if it happens in the holster, it happens early in the process when the pistol can still move around a lot. Check the upper edge of the holster. You could be canting the pistol inwards when holstering & drawing, forcing that side of the slide against the edge of the holster.

My Gen 4 doesn't have a mark on the slide. Held up far better than expected. Even the occasional careless bang against the safe left not so much as a scratch.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    My Gen 4 doesn't have a mark on the slide. Held up far better than expected. Even the occasional careless bang against the safe left not so much as a scratch.
    The finish varies. My 19 Gen 4 is holding up well (Daniels kydex holsters). My 1 year older 26 Gen 4 looks battle worn (Reaper Custom kydex holster).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast