Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AMMO Shortage

Banned

Default Re: AMMO Shortage

[QUOTE=mic;1424133]If the ammo was stored correctly, they should be GTG.

Personally I would not use PMP ammo for SD unless you really have to. There are better hollow point ammo available. I can guarantee you that those .38Spl 158 grain flat point PMP ammo was loaded quite HOT.[/QUOTE]
    Yes - hotter than my .38 spl average load from the book. Loaded some for the .357 just to play and even a heavy SOMCHEM book load was rather mild in the 357.The bought stuff had a different crack kick indeed.

User

[QUOTE=treeman;1424070]
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshman View Post

On an interesting note, I managed to find some old stock PMP .38Spl SJSP & SJHP for R420 / Box of 50

I could see the boxes were very old & simillar to the type I used to buy 30 years ago.
    When I peeled off the price (See photo) it looks like this stock was sitting in their safe for 28 years & possibly manufactured before then. (incredible)
    Cartridges looked okay though, so I grabbed two boxs.

Attachment 33515
    Attachment 33516

Those are hand in's, a lot of gun shops get ammo handed in by people for many reasons, mostly that it was found some time after a deceased estate occurred. Also people seem to sell guns to gun shops with stock piles of ammo they had which is then priced and sold.

Sounds like a a good explination how something this old ended up in the shops ammo safe.

User

[QUOTE=treeman;1424155]
    Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    If the ammo was stored correctly, they should be GTG.

Personally I would not use PMP ammo for SD unless you really have to. There are better hollow point ammo available. I can guarantee you that those .38Spl 158 grain flat point PMP ammo was loaded quite HOT.[/QUOTE]
    Yes - hotter than my .38 spl average load from the book. Loaded some for the .357 just to play and even a heavy SOMCHEM book load was rather mild in the 357.The bought stuff had a different crack kick indeed.
    I'll fire off a box this weekend at the range & let you know how it goes.
    Rest assured that I never intended to use ammo of this type or age for SD, just for some range time.

If I feel it's firing to hot, or get any tight chamber extractions, I'll stop.
    However I can recall using this stuff 25 years ago in my Taurus Model 85 2" Snubby without any problems. (perhaps my memory has faded after that much time)

Athough I primarily go with .40S&W for SD, my newer mod 85 .38Spl is a very comfortabel to wear secondary option.
    Loaded with 110Gr Winchester Silvertips (Non +P) I feel it will get the job done if it ever had to.
    Apart from that, I just love shooting it.

Please dont forget to let us know if you see any .38Spl or .40S&W start to become available around Gauteng.
    Thanks for all the interest in the old ammo I found & would welcome any further comments before i fire it on Saturday.

User

[QUOTE=Welshman;1424166]
    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I'll fire off a box this weekend at the range & let you know how it goes.Rest assured that I never intended to use ammo of this type or age for SD, just for some range time.If I feel it's firing to hot, or get any tight chamber extractions, I'll stop.However I can recall using this stuff 25 years ago in my Taurus Model 85 2" Snubby without any problems. (however maybe my memory has faded after that much time)Athough I primarily go with .40S&W for SD, my newer mod 85 .38Spl is a very comfortabel to wear secondary option. Loaded with 110Gr Winchester Silvertips (Non +P) I feel it will get the job done if it ever had to.Apart from that, I just love shooring it.Please dont forget to let us know if you see any .38Spl or .40S&W start to become available around Gauteng.Thanks for all the interest in the old ammo I found & would welcome any further comments before i fire it on Saturday.
    Bellum arcus has some 40 in stock last time i was there

User

[QUOTE=Grant9;1424168]
    Bellum arcus has some 40 in stock last time i was there

I see on their website it's Winchester 165Gr FMJ 100 Rounds "value" box for R 1110.00
    A bit pricy, but I'll give them a call later to confirm availability.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Welshman;1424166]
    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post

I'll fire off a box this weekend at the range & let you know how it goes.
    Rest assured that I never intended to use ammo of this type or age for SD, just for some range time.

If I feel it's firing to hot, or get any tight chamber extractions, I'll stop.
    However I can recall using this stuff 25 years ago in my Taurus Model 85 2" Snubby without any problems. (perhaps my memory has faded after that much time)

Athough I primarily go with .40S&W for SD, my newer mod 85 .38Spl is a very comfortabel to wear secondary option.
    Loaded with 110Gr Winchester Silvertips (Non +P) I feel it will get the job done if it ever had to.
    Apart from that, I just love shooting it.

Please dont forget to let us know if you see any .38Spl or .40S&W start to become available around Gauteng.
    Thanks for all the interest in the old ammo I found & would welcome any further comments before i fire it on Saturday.
    Can confirm the same, used the same or similar boxed ammo in my dad's snubby many moons ago, never had an issue.

User

[QUOTE=Welshman;1424175]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant9 View Post

I see on their website it's Winchester 165Gr FMJ 100 Rounds "value" box for R 1110.00
    A bit pricy, but I'll give them a call later to confirm availability.

Thanks
    Yep they have quite a few box's of this in both 165Gr & 180Gr (not a big mover because of its cost)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mark357 View Post
    Places have gotten 9mm again, but 38SPL is all gone for now it seems
    The Magtech shipment that was stolen was supposed to resupply a lot of shops with 38SPL, 357Mag, 44 Mag and 40S&W

Camdix in Krugersdorp had some 40S&W S&B late last week
    Apologies, only saw your post now :

Camdex still have the following after I left there today :

S&B .40S&W FMJ 180Gr / 50 - R445
    Nobeltech .40S&W FMJ 180Gr Factory Reloads/ 50 - R360
    Nobeltech .38Spl CMJ 158Gr Factory Reloads / 50 - R340

Many thanks

User

With all the ammo flying off the sheves a few weeks back, there is a huge shortage of handgun ammo practicaly everywhere at the moment.
    Not sure what shipments are coming in apart from the Magtech container that was stolen.

I'm in particlar after .40S&W and .38Spl "Range Ammo" & would appreciate anyone letting me know where i could grab a few boxes of S&B or something similar in Gauteng or driveable radius thereof.

On an interesting note, I managed to find some old stock PMP .38Spl SJSP & SJHP for R420 / Box of 50

I could see the boxes were very old & simillar to the type I used to buy 30 years ago.
    When I peeled off the price (See photo) it looks like this stock was sitting in their safe for 28 years & possibly manufactured before then. (incredible)
    Cartridges looked okay though, so I grabbed two boxs.

Attachment 33515
    Attachment 33516
    Got this box of 50 for free, & I wasted no time freeing them freedom seeds after a long stint being locked up. I do not know how old they were, but they worked just fine.
    IMG_5809.jpg

User

Free is always a good price ...

Can I ask if you noticed these rounds to be any hotter in comparrison to something like a box of today's S&B SJSP, as suspected by a few of the gents earlier in this thread. I will be firing from a 2" snub on Saturday, not sure what you used.

I would imagine differences in this ammo comparrion would be less notible from a 6" .357 for instance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast