Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AMMO Shortage

User

Default Re: AMMO Shortage

Quote Originally Posted by Brennen View Post
    Got this box of 50 for free, & I wasted no time freeing them freedom seeds after a long stint being locked up. I do not know how old they were, but they worked just fine.
    Attachment 33522
    That stuff is from the olden days for sure! I was gifted some barely post just world war 2 9mm ammo by an elderly relative in the early 90's and the ice cream bakkie full was 100% reliable.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
    Free is always a good price ...

Can I ask if you noticed these rounds to be any hotter in comparison to something like a box of today's S&B SJSP, as suspected by a few of the gents earlier in this thread. I will be firing from a 2" snub on Saturday, not sure what you used.

I would imagine differences in this ammo comparison would be less notable from a 6" .357 for instance.
    I shot the x50 .38 Special through my K-Framed 3" .357 Magnum, so slightly larger than a, ( I am assuming J-Frame), .38 Special snub-nose. They are not loaded to +P, the cases will indicate if it's loaded as such. I have experience with super hot .38 Special +P+ reloads, +P factories & all in-between, and I can tell you the snub-nose will let you know if they are loaded too hot, besides exploding. But the PMP's were not loaded 'hot' enough to cause immediate damage. By this, any revolver used with ammunition loaded to maximum will cause some problems eventually. Case in point, service practice revolvers.

Load one round, fire it & eject the spent cartridge from the revolving wheel. If the case is stuck ie. you have to firmly depress the ejection rod a few times to eject the casing, the ammunition is 'too hot'.
    My father used to own a Rossi .38 Special snub-nose & it fired any PMP ammunition without a cause for concern.

Banned

I would have called the rather sharp, snappy, definitely not mild or like I said, as tame as my play loads. You will get the realization that they were trying to get as much out of the 38spl meager offering as possible. I did not enjoy them in the 1.5 inch (?) Taurus.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    That stuff is from the olden days for sure! I was gifted some barely post just world war 2 9mm ammo by an elderly relative in the early 90's and the ice cream bakkie full was 100% reliable.
    With ammo prices today, I would not mind range ammo that only functions 90% of the time. Makes for a good training aid at the range in any case.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I would have called the rather sharp, snappy, definitely not mild or like I said, as tame as my play loads. You will get the realization that they were trying to get as much out of the 38spl meager offering as possible. I did not enjoy them in the 1.5 inch (?) Taurus.
    But that is the beauty of hand loading. For heavy range use the milder reloads extends revolver life. I started reloading too late & my revolver needs 'tuning' after each session these days. I just need to bite the bullet and send the piece in for a nice refurbishment, or just upgrade to a nice .44 Magnum piece. Because I feel like a punk. Lucky?

I am not an accurate gauge of recoil. To me, the recoil was nothing to write home about. I might change my mind in the years to come.

PMP boxes from the mid 80s to early 90s looked like that - not sure when the art design changed though.

Before my brother in law started reloading he had bought some PMP .38 special & .357 magnum ammo - 158gr JSP in both calibres.

They were hot, no doubt about it, with the .357 mag ammo seeming relatively hotter, although that was shot from a 4" barreled revolver & the .38 special from a 2" snubbie.

User

Ive clocked the modern pmp 158gr 38 special as hotter than the S&B 38 158gr.cant imagine its changed much.

User

Happy to report that the ammo fired perfectly without any problems.

Noted reacoil was similar to modern S&B 158Gr SJSP
    It was accurate enough to score me 88% on a 5 meter NATSHOOT postal target using a 2" Taurus Model 85
    Glad I could finaly let some of this ammo out of the box after being locked up in a safe for 30 years

Still no .38Spl ammo anywhere locally except perhaps Krugersdorp maybe.
    Anyway I should last for now with my remaining box & a half of PMP, 1 box S&B + my reloads

Stay well gents

Quote Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
    Still no .38Spl ammo anywhere locally except perhaps Krugersdorp maybe.
    Camdix in Krugersdorp and Zimbi in Pretoria have S&B 38SPL in stock
    Waterfall arms in Kyalami have a few Magtech

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mark357 View Post
    Camdix in Krugersdorp and Zimbi in Pretoria have S&B 38SPL in stock
    Waterfall arms in Kyalami have a few Magtech
    Many thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast