User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Cellphone signal boosters

Can any GS user direct me to something of the sort that really works? I don't believe reviews on a sellers website. Should be able to handle data (3G would be ok) and voice. By searching the net there are some options and prices vary from R 2000 - R 12 000. I need it for the family farm between mountains. When climbing on the roof or standing outside on a certain spot MTN can be received and on the MTN Website with their maps of coverage it seems that the house is on the outskirts of their demarcated reception area, so there is hope. About 30 m from the house I also find Cell C with 3G if the wind is blowing in the right direction and the constellations are in line.

There is a mast available to lift an antenna to about 4 meters over the roof and trees can be trimmed if needed.

User

Default Re: Cellphone signal boosters

We have a Cel-Fi unit that was supplied and installed by MTN after I squealed at them for 6 months straight. It works great. Get HSDPA data and solid voice. Before the unit EDGE data at best and choppy voice with many dropped calls. We are in Sandton but in a small dead zone which they helpfully reflect on their coverage map.

User

subscribed.
    I have a fishing spot. Very poor reception. If I send a photo it can be as long as 30 minutes to send or receive. So the signal works, but I cannot google, Samsung say no internet.
    Strangely, people with a Xiaomi can google comfortably on the same Vodacom network.

User

Quote Originally Posted by PCfanatic View Post
    subscribed.
    I have a fishing spot. Very poor reception. If I send a photo it can be as long as 30 minutes to send or receive. So the signal works, but I cannot google, Samsung say no internet.
    Strangely, people with a Xiaomi can google comfortably on the same Vodacom network.
    Samsung might be lowering transmitter power to comply with SAR regulations. Xiaomi might not worry too much about that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by carleng View Post
    Samsung might be lowering transmitter power to comply with SAR regulations. Xiaomi might not worry too much about that.

I thought it had more to do with receiving power.

User

I use a Wilson A-500. Works really well.

User

I thought it had more to do with receiving power.
    Comms is bidirectional. The phone is in constant contact with the closest tower. Closest being the one with the best signal.
    If there is a good, strong signal received by the phone, it can lower the gain, or attenuate the signal on the receive side. This done to ensure the receiver is not saturated by a signal that is too strong. If the signal is too small, the phone will amplify it. Most of this should not be an issue in a properly designed receiver, as there should be relatively low emissions.

On the transmit side, the phone will boost the amplification if it is in a low signal environment. This is why your phone gets hot, and the battery doesn't last as long if you are in such an area.

Cellphone signal boosters come in various guises. The cheapest is the one traditionally sold by Poynting Antennas. It is a passive system, comprising a directional antenna with a pad attached the the cable. You hold the pad against the phone. There is coupling between the pad and the phone, in effect connecting the big directional antenna with the phone. But this is a bit unwieldy.

Active cellphone boosters will typically have two sets of transmit receive circuitry. The larger set will hopefully connect to an external directional antenna, while the smaller set will connect to your phone through a low gain antenna. So it will receive a signal on the large antenna and retransmit it on the small antenna. Your phone gets the message from the smaller antenna and replies to the same one. This will then be amplified and transmitted on the larger, directional antenna.

User

Quote Originally Posted by carleng View Post
    Comms is bidirectional. The phone is in constant contact with the closest tower. Closest being the one with the best signal.
    If there is a good, strong signal received by the phone, it can lower the gain, or attenuate the signal on the receive side. This done to ensure the receiver is not saturated by a signal that is too strong. If the signal is too small, the phone will amplify it. Most of this should not be an issue in a properly designed receiver, as there should be relatively low emissions.

On the transmit side, the phone will boost the amplification if it is in a low signal environment. This is why your phone gets hot, and the battery doesn't last as long if you are in such an area.

Cellphone signal boosters come in various guises. The cheapest is the one traditionally sold by Poynting Antennas. It is a passive system, comprising a directional antenna with a pad attached the the cable. You hold the pad against the phone. There is coupling between the pad and the phone, in effect connecting the big directional antenna with the phone. But this is a bit unwieldy.

Active cellphone boosters will typically have two sets of transmit receive circuitry. The larger set will hopefully connect to an external directional antenna, while the smaller set will connect to your phone through a low gain antenna. So it will receive a signal on the large antenna and retransmit it on the small antenna. Your phone gets the message from the smaller antenna and replies to the same one. This will then be amplified and transmitted on the larger, directional antenna.

You definitely know what you are talking about
    My cell discharge much more while fishing than when I'm at work. Just like you mentioned.

User

You definitely know what you are talking about
    My cell discharge much more while fishing than when I'm at work. Just like you mentioned.
    That is why the "cellphone-radiation-is-killing-us Nazi's" are actually causing a lot of issues for everyone when the force network operaters to use less towers. This causes the towers to work harder/transmit at higher powers, phones transmit at higher powers, batteries drain faster, heating up and needing more frequent charging, etc.