User

Question Dedicated status & licensing timeline (is it an issue?)

Anyone in the know, please help.

My BIL has departed the sunny shores of SA for better prospects. In doing so, he has given me his hunting rifles (they originally belonged to my father). I received them a few weeks back, and am storing them (SAPS 539 storage permit obtained), while waiting for the licenses.

The query.....
    They are currently licensed on section 16 and he will not be renewing his membership with Natshoot for 2022, nor will he meet his commitments for 2021 to maintain his DSS status. As of Jan 2022, when everything lapses, these firearms become "illegal". Is this a problem?

Normally this would not be a problem as my licenses would be approved before the end of the year but with the current situation at CRF, its likely that my licenses will only be approved during the course of 2022. Is this a problem?

My applications have just been submitted, so I can't transfer the rifles to dealer stock (can I?).
    I am going to see my DFO tomorrow but would like to know, before i talk to him, how much of a mission my life is possibly about to become.

User

Default Re: Dedicated status & licensing timeline (is it an issue?)

I might be wrong, but I am sure he can submit as part of Natshoot a "non-activity" report and speak to the guys at Natshoot to ensure his status would be maintained until you've receive the licenses?

They've recently changed their status to be moved from Birthday to Birthday. I.e. if today is his Birthday he would hopefuly have been up to date for 2021, with 2022 only expiring in 364 days from now. Hopefully this solves your problem?

User

The important part is the expiry date of his licenses?

The firearm licenses are still valid for their full term regardless of non compliance with NHSA regs. Bad standing with the sporting association will affect chances of renewal, but since he he is not planning renewal that is a moot point.

It will probably come down to the mood of your DFO, and his willingness to renew those storage permits.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    I might be wrong, but I am sure he can submit as part of Natshoot a "non-activity" report and speak to the guys at Natshoot to ensure his status would be maintained until you've receive the licenses?

They've recently changed their status to be moved from Birthday to Birthday. I.e. if today is his Birthday he would hopefuly have been up to date for 2021, with 2022 only expiring in 364 days from now. Hopefully this solves your problem?
    I just checked mine. To be compliant for 2022 I have to do my activities before my next B-day- I have done none this year.
    Your next compliance date is 2022-07-31, all your activities logged between 2021-08-01 and 2022-07-31 will count towards your dedicated status compliance for 2022.