Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 3 hunting rifles

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    With hindsight, I might have gotten along pretty well with these 3 rifle calibers:
    1. 22 LR
    2. 308 Win
    3. 375 H&H.

But that applies to my usual hunting scenarios. Somebody living on the wide open plains of the Flat State will have different needs. So these choices are very much subjective.
    I live in the wide open plains (although we have a fair bit of mountains, valleys and riverine bush as well) and I would not feel disadvantaged if all I had was a .308 win and a .375 H&H. Both will do just fine at normal open plains distances provided a decent laser rangefinder is available.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Man a wish list for me would be something like a 224 Valkyrie, a 280 Nosler and a 338 federal.

But nah, stuck here with reality and logic.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
    Seems like perfect SA hunting collection.

Something small and fast for springbok in the Karoo; something bigger, still fast for plains; something heavy and slow for bush.

My current 3 gun solution: 243Ackley, 300Win mag, 375Ruger.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post

Something small and fast for springbok in the Karoo; something bigger, still fast for plains; something heavy and slow for bush.

My current 3 gun solution: 243Ackley, 300Win mag, 375Ruger.
    Jip, that is a good combo.

User

Just a thought on the topic.
    I’ve always maintained that spoilt for choice is the single greatest limiting factor put on shooters.

For example, if we all shot 308win, then bullets would be uber cheap, powder would be uber cheap, components would be uber cheap, shooting itself would be uber cheap.
    You would walk into any gunshop in the world and walk out with the exact components you need. But now every single producer must have a whole dictionary full of product lines just because of the sheer choices out there, and that makes things very expensive.

One of the greatest catch 22 scenarios out there.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Jip, that is a good combo.
    Privileged to have use all of them in the last few months in those exact roles. Just don't have a nice recent photo of a springbok!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    No 3 got my attention. Please post an example of such a setup? I have never even heard of a 45 ACP lever rifle.

Personally, I regard 45 ACP as insufficient for bushpig. In handgun calibers I would not go below 44 Mag for the primary hunting gun. 45ACP may be ok for a back-up handgun.
    More of a concept really. Anything that can deliver a big heavy bullet as quietly as possible for close distance head shots. It needs to be quiet as the bushpigs are in a small farm area, and some of the neighbours are very green. Probably a 45-70 or 44 mag would do, so long as it suits the purpose.

User

As per the OP I manage well, in the Easterb Cape with the following 3 and shoot all animals as per your list. Granted that the Eland is infrequent!

1.) O/U 12gauge
    2.) 6.5 Creedmoor with a 120gr
    3.) 30-06 with a 180gr

I am currently adding to this list because I like to shoot and WANT some alternatives options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Well, technically speaking, a shotgun is not a rifle...

Depends if you are going to hunt large DG, or not. If no buffalo, hippo or elephant indluded:

.223 for range training, fun, .223 class gong shoots and the odd small bodied game like springbuck e.g Tikka CTR
    6.5 Creedmoor (or anything from a .243 to a 6.5x55). Rifle would be a stainless/synthetic, very lightweight e.g. Kimber, Christensen, Barret Field Craft, Finnlight, MK V ultralight etc.
    .30-06 (or anything from a .270win to a .300mag). Rifle would be more classic, nice walnut stock. e.g. Mod 70, M98 type, CZ

If hunting large DG or in large DG country frequently I would swap the .30-06 for a .375 (maybe a 9.3 because I like it)
    If only go to get one hunt for something like a buffalo I would keep the above battery and just borrow a rifle for the once off buff hunt...

User

I have had this idea for a long while in my head aswell:

12 gauge
    8x57JS
    416Remington- does every thing the Rigby does and the ammo is way cheaper

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast