Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: So, my DFO just informed my rifle is listed as "destroyed" .

Is there any chance that an identical firearm was handed in for destruction, and that the paper work got mixed up?

I know a chap who was almost arrested because "his" firearm was used in a robbery.

It turned out that there were two identical firearms - his was in the safe whilst the other was at the SAPS after the robbery.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Is there any chance that an identical firearm was handed in for destruction, and that the paper work got mixed up?

I know a chap who was almost arrested because "his" firearm was used in a robbery.

It turned out that there were two identical firearms - his was in the safe whilst the other was at the SAPS after the robbery.
    I suppose anything is possible.
    Typo's, duplicate serials, serial in database matched a different firearm and I was the luck one.
    Fortunately there appears to be an official process in these cases. Of which there are many, I believe.

Also, I was informed that there is no more moving your firearm from one section to another.
    This .303 is under Section 15 and I asked if we could move it to Section 16.
    An emphatic "no" was replied with.

I still think the whole database was corrupted in 2006-2008. That was why we all had to reapply.

Sent from my Nokia 5.4 using Tapatalk

User

A friend of mine's pistol was stolen. It was recovered a few days later. After the case was finalised, he got the pistol back.

Two years later he got a phonecall from the police in Strand that they recovered it again...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swakop_toe View Post
    I suppose anything is possible.
    Typo's, duplicate serials, serial in database matched a different firearm and I was the luck one.
    Fortunately there appears to be an official process in these cases. Of which there are many, I believe.

Also, I was informed that there is no more moving your firearm from one section to another.
    This .303 is under Section 15 and I asked if we could move it to Section 16.
    An emphatic "no" was replied with.

I still think the whole database was corrupted in 2006-2008. That was why we all had to reapply.
    I once heard that somewhere around 1992-1996 a virus destroyed roughly two thirds of the SAPS firearms register. Do not know whether it is true.

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    A friend of mine's pistol was stolen. It was recovered a few days later. After the case was finalised, he got the pistol back.

Two years later he got a phonecall from the police in Strand that they recovered it again...
    I hope he thanked them nicely when he collected it again...

User

Reading through this nightmare thread is it any wonder why Americans fervently resist any sort of national firearms registry?

User

Quote Originally Posted by aimpoint View Post
    Are you at least able to store the rifle? Or did you have to hand it in till the mess is sorted?
    I offered to have it stored at a gunshop, I was told it is unnecessary.

User

User

The application with all the tons of paperwork, supporting documents, affidavits, inspection reports is in.
    Now we wait I suppose.

I am not naive to think the DFO has any input on how successful the renewal application will be.
    Parow DFO's tannie Melani is very helpful in gather all the paperwork, but I suppose that is where it ends.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2