Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Finnbuilder : Anyone buy these recently?

I recently came across a builder who uses this method. He is building my neighbour's house.
    I immediately recognized the system because I had considered it a while back. I'm toying with the idea of buying one of their Gemini forms for a diy project but haven't met anyone who's bought one to give me a review.

Has anyone one the forum bought any of their molds recently?

For those who don't know the system :

User

Default Re: Finnbuilder : Anyone buy these recently?

I have a Gemini that I bought approx 15 years back. It's a clever thing and does what it says on the box. Why they aren't in more common use has always surprised me. Apart from the cost and speed advantages a thing I really like is the ability to include conduits and piping while building rather than having to chase and cover after the fact. Another is the fact that you can get a very good finish with a thick slurry and a float rather than having to plaster.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I have a Gemini that I bought approx 15 years back. It's a clever thing and does what it says on the box. Why they aren't in more common use has always surprised me. Apart from the cost and speed advantages a thing I really like is the ability to include conduits and piping while building rather than having to chase and cover after the fact. Another is the fact that you can get a very good finish with a thick slurry and a float rather than having to plaster.
    in the videos the concrete mix looks quite dry? What is your experience with the mix....is it as tough as they claim it is?

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H40 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Karoobow View Post
    in the videos the concrete mix looks quite dry? What is your experience with the mix....is it as tough as they claim it is?
    You do use it drier than for poured concrete as you have to ram it into the form so it's pretty much 'no slump'. You can make it as hard as you like but their recommended mix for general building its significantly stronger than cement stocks. Cant remember what the margin is offhand but I think it's 100% or more. I haven't used the thing in 5 years but when I did, especially for someone who doesn't build for a living, I found it much easier and faster to put up walls than by bricklaying and plastering. If you have a small concrete mixer you can make pretty rapid progress on your own.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    You do use it drier than for poured concrete as you have to ram it into the form so it's pretty much 'no slump'. You can make it as hard as you like but their recommended mix for general building its significantly stronger than cement stocks. Cant remember what the margin is offhand but I think it's 100% or more. I haven't used the thing in 5 years but when I did, especially for someone who doesn't build for a living, I found it much easier and faster to put up walls than by bricklaying and plastering. If you have a small concrete mixer you can make pretty rapid progress on your own.
    Thanks for the feedback I might seriously consider getting one in the near future

User

I'm very interested in buying one. Going to call the contact details on their website next week and find out of they're still in business.

User

Quote Originally Posted by browninghipower View Post
    I'm very interested in buying one. Going to call the contact details on their website next week and find out of they're still in business.
    Please keep us updated

User

Quote Originally Posted by browninghipower View Post
    They are. Have a showroom/office near me.

With Brick homes you usually for outer walls have a double wall.

Or at least the older homes do have.

Wont this cause more damp on inside.

Merely a question.

Banned

Also lookup Stumbelbloc
    It's like working with Legos
    http://stumbelbloc.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast