Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Namibia Aranos hunt 2021 ; First Gemsbuck/Oryx and first Springbuck

Good day to all members. I believe all is well and good on your side . Members, some feedback from Aranos , Bwana Farm.

Ruan , my son shot his first Kalahari Gemsbuck. Wollie our host/friend arranged a Gemsbuck hunt for Ruan since it is my gift to Ruan for his 21 st Birthday.

A good friend of Wollie, Kobus were extremely kind to let Ruan shot a Gemsbuck for free...Kobus build his own Uri -hunting vehicles.

Ruan used a .300 WIN MAG caliber in a Blaser rifle, Wollie`s hunting rifle.
    Ruan took the shot at 253 meters. Great top of the heart/double lung shot taking the aorta out as well.

Some interesting things I observed and was told while we wait for the Gemsbuck to die.

The Gemsbuck is the animal that takes the longest to die when shot through the heart and lungs.

When it finally die , all the hair of the Gemsbuck stood upright.

Ruan and me skinned the Gemsbuck, process all the meat our selves .

User

Default Re: Namibia Aranos hunt 2021 ; First Gemsbuck/Oryx and first Springbuck

Then it was my turn, shooting my first Kalahari Springbuck ram with one horn. I used my Mauser 8x57JS, Barnes 160 gn TTSX Bullets.I shot the Springbuck at 220 meters through the neck at 2820 f/s. I skinned the Springbuck myself, processed all the meat myself.

User

Fantastic 21st present for your boy. He's a lucky young man to have the background to make that a thing to want and appreciate. Many of his age group are more interested in getting hair products and clothes. Makes me wish my daughter was prepared to shoot anything other than Indian Mynahs.

User

The URI looks really good in Nutria brown, don't think I remember seeing one painted like that.

User

Dis 'n MENEER van 'n springbok daai...

Nicely done

User

Thank you members, your positive remarks are greatly appreciated... That Uri is a great piece of hunting truck,

I want to build my Uri also using Land Cruiser solid axles and diffs with lockers.

What is great about this design is that he did not use the chassis of the Land Cruiser at all, only the solid axles and diffs with the diff lockers and central diff locker.

The complete straight pipe chassis and body he build as well...

the advantage of not using a Land Cruiser chassis at all is the placement of the engine..it is placed at the rear of the solid front diff/axle to ensure better off-road performance..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Dis 'n MENEER van 'n springbok daai...

Nicely done
    Pirate, yes you are correct, it took three of us to get it to hang on the frame..for sure a solid piece of meat..due to the drought it`s condition was not that good but still a beautiful animal.

User

My good friend Willie from Aranos did a great job in regards to work on the re-loading of the 160 gn Barnes TSSX flat base bullets to shoot out too 300 meters and further.
    Wollie really is a knowledgeable shooter and re-loader . I even managed to shoot gongs at 500 meters with his Lapua .338 . He made it so easy for me as a novice shooter to hit the gong at 500 meter, the gong is about 150mm diameter.
    Ruan my son and I learned a lot from Wollie in regards to re-loading and working out loads at different distances..even with the Mauser 8x57 JS I managed to shoot gongs at 300 meters with ease...unfortunately I did not have a second batch of Barnes bullets so we ran out of bullets and I was not able to progress to 500 meters with the 8x57JS Mauser shooting the gongs. I had to keep four rounds to hunt with.

One of his key components to achieve excellent loads is this powder scale and dispenser. What makes it totally different in Namibia on the farm is that every day you have a rifle in your hands and use it to either hunt, shoot or shooting load developments..it really is a tool .

Wollie has a velocity meter as well to do speeds and ladder development.
    It is impressive to see him preparing brass to get excellent accuracy. We really did learn a lot from Wollie in regards to do accurate re-loading.

I will duplicate his procedures as well as buying the same re-loading components for my future re-loading work in long range shooting .

User

While being in Aranos on holliday and hunting excursion , re-loading the 8x57JS done by Wollie we discuss the possibilities about improving the 8x57JS on longer distances. After hunting a Springbuck at 220 meters through the neck at 2820 f/s. I decided to change a few things on the 8x57 JS Mauser.

Fitting a silencer, building a better stock more suited for longer range shooting and hunting . Shooting out to 500 meters, hunting out to 300 meters.

The Weaver scope is more than adequate to see out to 500 meters for sure, and it really tracks beautifully.

I do believe after the re-loading done by Wollie this Mauser 8x57JS is capable of shooting out to 500 meters.

I now have another 8X57JS Mauser B -type collector rifle and will use this rifle for my bushveld hunting. So I can made a lot of changes to the Mauser 8x57JS Small ring Turkish Mauser .

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    While being in Aranos on holliday and hunting excursion , re-loading the 8x57JS done by Wollie we discuss the possibilities about improving the 8x57JS on longer distances. After hunting a Springbuck at 220 meters through the neck at 2820 f/s. I decided to change a few things on the 8x57 JS Mauser.

Fitting a silencer, building a better stock more suited for longer range shooting and hunting . Shooting out to 500 meters, hunting out to 300 meters.

The Weaver scope is more than adequate to see out to 500 meters for sure, and it really tracks beautifully.

I do believe after the re-loading done by Wollie this Mauser 8x57JS is capable of shooting out to 500 meters.

I now have another 8X57JS Mauser B -type collector rifle and will use this rifle for my bushveld hunting. So I can made a lot of changes to the Mauser 8x57JS Small ring Turkish Mauser .
    Gert, the velocity you are speaking of must be Muzzle velocity?
    Small ring mausers are supposed to be treated more gently in terms of overall pressure being generated.
    The biggest limiting factor for me shooting from a bench with a Gewehr98 of 1916 is the recoil. A 196/198 grain bullet at 2600fps equals more then 4000J. In a 8lbs rifle scope combination, it feels if it hits me harder then my 416Rem out of a 12lbs rifle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast