Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 6,5x55 or 7x57

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default 6,5x55 or 7x57

I have received my latest purchases license and can now take on the next firearm purchase. At last.

I need a "lighter recoiling than a 30-06" rifle for my daughter. We hunt in the Bushveld. The target would not be Eland and Zebra or big Kudu Bulls. Impala, Blesbuck, BWB, Kudu Cows, Warthog.

Needs to be a light rifle in itself as well.

I have narrowed it down to a 6,5x55 or 7x57. I don't want a 270 or .25-06 or 6,5 CM or .308. One of those two, that is it.

Howa makes a light (standard barreled) 6,5x55 that is available at my local gunshop that seems about right.

What I need input on is the 7x57 option. It seems that the 7x57 is getting all the more "scarce" in new rifles. Used ones come available, but the few I have looked at all have too much wear on them.

For the intended type of hunting slower and heavier should always be better, but will their be noticeable practical differences between the two? Will a 7x57 be outperforming a 6,5x55 for bushveld hunting? I reload, so that widens up options. A 7x57 is also coming in practically very close to my 30-06.

Would I make a mistake with a 6,5 in the bush or should I rather search longer and harder for a 7x57.

User

Default Re: 6,5x55 or 7x57

The only reason I like the 7x57 more for bushveld is that you have BWB on the menu and loaded with 170gn bullets it will be marginally better.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Would I make a mistake with a 6,5 in the bush.
    Nope! 156-160gr bullets work unbelievably well in this calibre!

I know you said only those two cals, but if a 7-08 crossed your path during your searching, it would be worth a consideration.

For me, the x57 is very close to your 06 - if you want lighter recoiling and a lighter gun, then the 6.5 will have the small edge there.
    Components are more widely available for the 6.5 too.

User

I have owned and hunted with a 7x57 for the past 32 years and I have killed 1200 head of game over a 4 year period with a 6.5x55 Howa. While I live in the Southern Free State, I do a lot of hunting at closer ranges in the riverine thickets along the Orange River. Either will work perfectly for what you need it to do and either would do for game up to big blue wildebeest bulls and eland provided you use a decent premium bullet. I would base my choice on the rifles that are available. You would not go wrong with the Howa, my 6.5x55 Howa now wears a 9.3x62 barrel and it is, again, seeing a lot of use.

User

TStone, your sharing of experience much appreciated. The part of "choice on the rifles that are available" makes a lot of sense. Also your comments on a Howa is setting my mind at ease on the choice of a 6,5X55 Howa.

Desperatezulu, yes, a 7mm-08 should also be a good choice, but as with the 7x57 it seems that these 7mmeters are getting scarce.

BWB only to be on her menu in few years from now. Maybe by then she would use the 06, but with premium bullets a well placed 6,5 should do the job and even be better than a flinched shot from a harder kicking rifle.

Banned

There is some good SD to be found in the 6.5 mm heavier bullets, that penetration together with a non flinch shot should be good for anything you mentioned and then some.

I saw your "thats all" statement, but I would second the DesperateZulu on the 7mm-08 if one came up. I bought one for Cody when he was 11 years old and he who, !!! ONLY WANTED A .270 Win "LIKE YOU DAD" shot a golf ball group at a 100 m first shoot with rifle, got up looked at his target and announced " I like this rifle Dad, can I keep it"

User

both are excellent (i own both) , i am assuming from your post that you already have a 30-06 ?
    if so then go for the 6.5
    i can assure you that you wont be disappointed with either

User

How things have changed.
    The 7x57 Mauser was considered a fine, flat shooting cartridge back in the day when it earned its reputation in military then sporting use. Now it is considered a short range bushveld rifle.
    It's ballistic twin,the 7mm08 was in the 80's and 90's considered by many to be the best long range shooting cartridge,being used extensively in long range comps.

The 6.5 Swede was considered a fine bushveld rifle,heavy,slow long bullets with good SD.
    It's ballistic twin,the 6.5 Creed is considered a long range cartridge.

Soooo...7x57 / 7mm08 is a fine long range cartridge. Is also a fine close range bushveld cartridge.

6.5 Swede / 6.5 Creed is a fine long range cartridge. Is also a fine close range bushveld cartridge.

Or.....They all suck...depends on your mood.

User

7x57, and yes, 7mm-08 for that matter wins my heart "ballistically" speaking for my purpose. They just seem to be difficult to get these days. New rifles in 7 mm is either expensive or scarce. Used ones have been used too much or are also high in price. Even ammo seems less available than the 2 commonly used 6,5 mm offerings. I am not 6,5 mm "crazed". I am not into long range target shooting. I hate shooting holes in paper. I am only interested in hunting success with a lighter but still decent hunting caliber than a 30-06 but not as flat and fast as a 243 or 270, and it seems that yet again, with two calibers that are relatively close we cannot make a deduction that one is a better hunting caliber in general than the other.

Maybe I must search further from home, but I have enquired at the 5 Gunshops in the towns close by and all have the same answer. 7x57 - None. "But what about a 6,5? Would you like a Creedmoor or Swedish? We can show you a few. What are you looking for? New or used?"

Seems to me that the 6.5 issue has now gripped RSA like Covid and the decent golden oldie like the 7x57 are running out of steam with regards to demand.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    How things have changed.
    The 7x57 Mauser was considered a fine, flat shooting cartridge back in the day when it earned its reputation in military then sporting use. Now it is considered a short range bushveld rifle.
    It's ballistic twin,the 7mm08 was in the 80's and 90's considered by many to be the best long range shooting cartridge,being used extensively in long range comps.

The 6.5 Swede was considered a fine bushveld rifle,heavy,slow long bullets with good SD.
    It's ballistic twin,the 6.5 Creed is considered a long range cartridge.

Soooo...7x57 / 7mm08 is a fine long range cartridge. Is also a fine close range bushveld cartridge.

6.5 Swede / 6.5 Creed is a fine long range cartridge. Is also a fine close range bushveld cartridge.

Or.....They all suck...depends on your mood.
    The problem is that people makes too much of cartridge/caliber choice. There is so little practical difference in performance on game between the standard 6.5mm, .270 and 7mm cartridges that it is not a factor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast