Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Safe Specs

Default Re: Safe Specs

Question. When ready, I'm planning to buy a Magnum mp3. I want to mount it wall only and drill two additional holes so that it affixes by 4 bolts in wall. Is this allowed?

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertvanjoe View Post
    Question. When ready, I'm planning to buy a Magnum mp3. I want to mount it wall only and drill two additional holes so that it affixes by 4 bolts in wall. Is this allowed?
    My understanding is that the specs specify a minimum size and number of anchor bolts. My safes all have a additional anchor bolts to walls in contact with the sides and photos of the same have accompanied all my license applications.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post

Question. People that have safes that conform to older standard, whose safes was inspected and pass by SAPS, which is thinner then the current regulation, are they still legal seeing that SAPS approved it, same as with green and white license.
    I believe you would be covered and say this on the strength of the following extract:

FIREARMS CONTROL ACT, 2000
    Firearms Control Regulations, 2004
    Chapter 10
    Safe custody of firearms and ammunition
    Safes and safe custody
    (8) An existing safe, strongroom, device, apparatus or instrument for the safe custody of firearms, which complies with the regulations under the previous Act, will be deemed to comply with the standards set out in SABS Standard 953-1 and 953-2 for all purposes of this Act, if the Registrar issues a certificate to this effect.
    (9) The Registrar may issue a certificate contemplated in subregulation (8) in respect of any safe, strongroom, device, apparatus or instrument in existence at the inception of these Regulations that does not technically correspond to the specifications set in the Standards referred to in subregulation (8), but that would, in the opinion of the Registrar, effectively and substantively serve the same purpose: Provided that the specification accepted by the Registrar must not be less than as was prescribed in terms of the previous Act at the time of the latest issuing of a licence or other applicable authorisation to possess a firearm for which the safe, strongroom, device, apparatus or instrument was approved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2